FEZtive Module - soldering the strips

Anyone played with the FEZtive module yet?

I finally got around to starting with mine, but I’m trying to figure out what is the optimal way of connecting the strips to the module parts?

Looking at the pictures at http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/409 suggests just short bits of wire between the module parts and the solder pads on the strips, but (no offense to whoever did the soldering) the result isn’t pretty, and seems like a lot of fiddly soldering to get the wires on the pads and then soldered to the modules. Ideally, you’d solder the pads on the strips directly to the solder pads on the modules, but the width of the pads on the modules is slightly different from the width of the pads on the strips, so I don’t think that’ll work.

Soldering on right-angle headers is another possibility, but seems like overkill. Would probably be less fiddly than individual bits of wire, however, and more durable.

With 40 contact points per module, saving even a little bit of time per pad will add up quickly.

Anyone have best practices to share?

I haven’t tried one of these, but I don’t see a much better solution than soldering wires to bridge the gap. I might can suggest a process that should be less fidgety.

1. Clamp the strip to the module using gator clips on each side.
  2. Use a long piece of bus wire and solder to the module and strip at the same time. Do not pre-cut the wire to length.
  3. Clip the wire.

You should be able to get through one strip in a couple minutes or less.

@ ianlee74 - Good thinking…I’ll give that a try if no one has a better technique they’ve used. :slight_smile:

We were able to solder it directly. But if this was too difficult then short wires will do.

Hate to dig this thread up after a month, but I’m hoping to get to my FezModule Kit here soon, and I was looking at exactly this issue. I was thinking what if I mounted headers on the FezModules and wired the LED strips with appropriate connectors so I can quickly build/tear down demos. What connectors would you suggest?

Perhaps you could rig up regular .1" male & female headers?

I was thinking of something like these Jameco Electronics - Learn About Us - Corporate Overview

Workable?