FEZ Spider Mainboard is not powering on and USB Client DP Module is flashing red and getting heated

I guess I did wrong connection USB Client DP Module to socket 12 instead of 1 by mistake. Motherboard is not powering on.

USB Client DP Module is working fine and checked directly connecting camera module and works well as webcam on pc.

I am not able to even do Firmware update as EMX is not coming up…

Is there any way I can do something with this motherboard or it is dead???

I purchased in March this year and is there any warranty or replacement option.

I am located in India and bought through www.mouser.com

Plugging the wrong socket should not cause any damage.

What are the positions of the dip switches? What way are they pointing, toward the button or away? Please identify all four switches.

Pointing towards switch, default mode, OFF

While USB specifications say ports should provide 500mA, we rarely see a port that can actually provide 500mA. We always recommend the use of powered hubs or a power pack instead of relying on the USB power. Use a powered hub from a known brand, not a cheap hub. If your device has the option of using a power pack (for example the USB Client DP Module) then you can use a power pack instead. 9V 1A is typically recommended but check the bottom of the circuit board for printed voltage range. All power connectors on GHI products are 2.1mm with positive on the inside and negative on the outer ring.

Not using a powered hub or power pack can cause:
[ul]Unexplained behavior
Device does not function
Device functions intermittently
Device functions but network fails
Device functions but SD card fails
Device functions but firmware update fails[/ul]
(Generated by QuickReply)

Using code tags will make your post more readable. This can be done in two ways:[ol]
Click the “101010” icon and paste your code between the

tags or...
Select the code within your post and click the "101010" icon.[/ol]
(Generated by QuickReply)

Aron, any help on this please

I accidentally plugged the DP into socket 2 (Z) instead of 1 (D) on my Spider. The only problem I had was that my PC couldn’t recognize the device. Once I moved it over to 1, it worked perfectly fine.

Is the LED on the Spider turning on?

Perhaps a photo of how things are connected would be helpful.

Hi amitsoft,

The switches pointing toward the button is correct for normal operation of the Spider.

What is your entire setup on the Spider (display, power modules, etc.) and what sockets do you have them plugged into? How did you have the power to the DP module, USB only or both USB and external power? If USB only, are you using a powered hub or straight from the computer? If you have the display connected, are there any messages on the display when powering up? Is the red LED on the Spider turning on? Please let us know to better diagnose the issue. :slight_smile:

I remember you mentioned that the USB DP module LED blinks when you connect FEZ Spider mainboard. Am I correct?
If the LED is blinking then there is a power consumption that is more than 800mAmp (or there is a short in the system, or the system got damages somehow)

@ joe Yes,

1. USB DP module connected through USB cable directly to laptop.
  2. Red LED blinks and if I remove Motherboard, and connect it again it stops blinking.

@ aron

What is your entire setup on the Spider (display, power modules, etc.)

I have only USB DP module connected to Motherboard. No display, no other module.

and what sockets do you have them plugged into?

currently USB DP module connected to socket (1).

How did you have the power to the DP module, USB only or both USB and external power?
USB only

If USB only, are you using a powered hub or straight from the computer?
straight from computer

If you have the display connected, are there any messages on the display when powering up?
Display not connected

Is the red LED on the Spider turning on?
No, this is where it triggered to me post this issue on this forum. I had been using this with the motor driver module with Ethernet module last month.

Image uploaded for reference.

Is that a metalised anti static bag it is sitting on? are the conductive?

Hi amitsoft,

Go to GHI’s contact us page and acquire an RMA number and send it to us and we will test it for you.

By the way, it risky to run the board on the outside of the anti-static bag because it is made of metal.

ok, thanks,

I think for taking photo, I just put it on anti-static bag. I will be careful. thanks

btw, the motherboard on Gadgeteer aluminum standoff http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/371. still risky?

it shouldn’t because it sits inside the “circle” which has no traces in it