FEZ Spider downgrade to nemf 4.1

Last week I purchased a FEZ spider. I also purshased a USB DP module and am able to debug\deploy to it via visual studio. I would like to put netmf 4.1 on the module to debug a block of code. From what I have found with netmf 4.1 I will have to make a serial connection to the pc inorder to put the netmf 4.1 firmware on the FEX Spider. If I bought https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/287 would I be able to connect the FEX Spider to the pc to update the firmware?

If I am not mistaken you should be able to use USB module as well. You most likely will need old drivers from 4.1 SDK that recognise EMX module.

Thanks I’ll give it a try tomorrow and let you know if it works.

If you do not need the gadgeteer code, then 4.1 will work fine on usb.

I did not get very far. It seems the fez spider I bought last week does not have the 4 position dip switch installed. So I cannot put it in loader mode. Can you provide the part number to the dip switch so that I can install it?

That is strange. Where did you buy it?

@ elissard - I will email you in the morning to help with the RMA process. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Ok, I have received the updated module. I am unable to set the unit to netmf 4.1.8. I am using FEZSpiderMainboardUpdater, it is defaulting to the correct path of c:\Program Files\GHIElectronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\EMX\Firmware to get the hex files and similar path plus TinBooter to get the TinyBooter.GHI file. The error I am getting is cannot connect and follow steps 1 and 2, but I have. Any help would be appreciated.

when the dip switch is in loader mode, then the FEZSpider is recognized as a GHI Bootloader Interface (COM4) and pressing the reset button makes it disappear and then reappear in the Device Manager. But the GHI Updateder application still says it cannot connect, maybe because it is a serial device and not a usb device?

pressing the reboot should make the COM4 device disappear and reappear.

Is there any reason you’re not using the Fez Config app?

Realistically, you can manually do the update once you can get the COM4 port showing up. The EMX manual update process (and Fez Config) are both documented in the EMX manual https://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/man/EMX_User_Manual.pdf