Fez Spider and Fez Cerberus not detected

Long time ago I bought a Fez Spider. All was working well.
6 months ago I wanted to tried again and noticed that the device would not show up in MF Deploy. Nor in Device Manager.

I just abandoned it, and lent it to a friend. But for my friend it worked fine.

He gave it back to me two weeks ago. I tried to plug on my computer, but same problem as 6 months ago.
However after plugging/unplugging at one point it worked by chance ! I could even update the firmware with Fez Config.
Then I unplugged and plugged again, and it stop working.

So I bought a cerberus.
I plug the cerberus, it works. I update the firmware, it works, I make my hello world on a displayN18, it works.

Then at one point the deployement was hanging so I unplugged it… then replugged it.
And now I have the exact same problem as with my Spider.

Both of them show a “White Screen Of The Death” on the display, and nothing appear on Fez Config or MF Deploy.

The only difference is the “Unknow Device” that appeared on the USB Bus with Windows error code 45 for the Cerberus. (windows stopped this device because problems occured)

It worked fine 30min ago…

I tried to unplug every module, thinking there was not enough power. Same result.

What version of USB port to which you are connecting, 2.0 or 3.0?

What OS are you using?

Is it through a VM?

Have you tried other USB ports?

Can you confirm that the device will work on another PC?

I can only confirm that the Fez Spider was working fine for my friend.
I tried plugging this the board on another computer without anything installed.

I get '“unknown device” error 43 (instead of 45 earlier). It says windows stopped the device because it was malfunctioning. (Certberus)

It seems the error code is random.

I also had this error “This device is disabled because the firmware of the device did not give it the required resources. (Code 29)”

My computer is Dell Precision M4600 (USB2.0 and USB3.0).

Windows 7

No

Yes, it is actually how my fez spider worked again for 10 minutes before stopping again.

The spider is even wierder. There is nothing in the device manager. (not even the unknown device)
But sometimes, things get written on the screen like if it booted, then the screen goes blank again.

[UPDATE]

Now the cerberus always give me error 29.
I tried with different power module, different cable, different ports. No difference.

@ Nicolas Dorier - Can you try to update the loader for the Cerberus and the Spider?

Cerberus: https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/46/fez-cerb-family-developers-guide#3253
Spider: In FEZ Config, under Advanced > Loader Update, click FEZ Spider.

1 Like

Do you have any other USB devices attached to your computer (beyond mouse & keyboard)? If you do, remove them and try again. Let us know…

[quote]@ Nicolas Dorier - Can you try to update the loader for the Cerberus and the Spider?

Cerberus: https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/46/fez-cerb-family-developers-guide#3253
Spider: In FEZ Config, under Advanced > Loader Update, click FEZ Spider [/quote]

Awesome, it fixed both of my board, thanks.

I did not.

Good job for the support, as always :slight_smile: