FEZ Panda gets very hot!

With 12v it is very normal for regulator to get hot. The problem that require fixing is when panda gets too hot with USB power

it not only gets very hot, it shuts itself off (after only 1-2 seconds).

Then you have completely different problem from what we talked about!

Does it work fine from USB power?

On the first post on the second page, I explained that the behaviour suddenly and permanently changed. When I got it first, it worked only from 12V, and overheated from USB. Now it only works from USB, and overheats/shut itself down from 12V.

Ok no problem, please contact GHI directly and they will take care of you

I got a replacement and it works like I expect it! Great.

I have been getting a similar problem with my Panda II. Hot when running on USB and external power (9v regulated) at the same time and the smell of hot electronics. I have taken to running it only on one or the other but one of the voltage regs on the board is still getting hot. Today the board died while attached to external power. Now there is no activity when I plug it into USB. If I supply 7.5 volts regulated external power, the entire board gets very hot very quickly. Will GHI replace this (I bought it through SparkFun), or am I in the market for a replacement?

@ NotSoTiny - that problem was resolved over a year ago. Note that 3.3v micros are very sensitive to static and wrong connections.

Sorry to hear about your device and welcome to the community.

I’m powering a GPRS shield and FezTouch and it works fine of the USB only (although I have to use the double USB cable for the current needed).

I built a 9v 1.5 amp UPS system to power my project, the board became very hot almost immediately - I couldn’t get a 800ma regulator from my local electronics store.
Changed the regulator to 6v, 1amp and the problem went away.
The figures above where confirmed using a multimeter prior to hooking the fez up.

Also, the chances of a 9v “regulated” power supply being 9v is almost 0 if its a cheapie.
I have one that says 9v and gives out 12 - always check them if it didn’t come with the product you are hooking it up to.