FEZ Panda...from prototype to production

First of all, I want to thank the community for the great feedback that allowed us to bring you this very very exciting new device, FEZ Panda.

What is so special about FEZ Panda? It is very low cost and at the same time it is FEZ, it blows everything else out of the water! You have networking, file system, USB Client, hundreds of libraries…all standard and all supported commercially…GHI doesn’t offer toys, but commercial-quality devices that are so freakin’ easy to use, you can toy with them :smiley:

So, production samples are in and they look FANTASTIC! You do not believe me? Take a look yourself :wink: [url]http://www.tinyclr.com/hardware/16/fez-panda/[/url]

Adding on, if all above is still not enough to get you super excited, we have added JTAG to FEZ Panda! So, you can use it to port Micro framework or as a LPC2387 development board.

Still not enough? We have a new ebook for you…yes yes it is free. I am not done with it yet but it gets you pretty far enough. I will try to complete it in the coming weeks. Take a look at what we have so far [url]http://www.tinyclr.com/downloads/Beginners%20Guide%20to%20Porting%20NETMF.pdf[/url]

Still not enough, the ebook will include full source code to a port for FEZ Panda…do not waste your time trying to port NETMF, we will give you the whole port! Open source and free!

You maybe asking yourself, how GHI is giving away all this info on porting NETMF, someone could make their own FEZ and compete with GHI! The answer is that, GHI is not selling you NETMF nor is charing much for the huge amount of libraries that we add to NETMF. For example, even if you port NETMF, you sill do not have USB Host nor USB client. Also, you will have to keep working on bug fixing and maintaining the port yourself. If you buy USBizi chipset, which costs also as much as the raw ARM processor, you get everything provided by GHI free of charge. So, if you want to have fun with the porting kit, we are on your side, if you want to use our devices, we are still on your side.

FEZ community, let us have fun and create something amazing together! :dance:

When will FEZ Panda ship?
We have a few in stock that we will figure out how to get them out and to whom. We will also be accepting pre-orders on few days. So you can reserve yours right away.

How much will FEZ Panda cost?
You will not believe your eyes when you see the price! Just do not ask what it is yet :wink:

Edit: I forgot to mention other things that are also exciting about FEZ Panda…ready?

1. It is Arduino-pinout-compatible so go ahead and use one of the many shields available on this website or anywhere else.
  2. FEZ Panda has a LOT of IOs… probably more than you will ever need so go ahead and connect all the sensors you have.
  3. FEZ Panda is based on USBizi chipset which means it includes all GHI’s commercial and exclusive features including networking. So now, with minimal efforts, you can have a web server hosted from FEZ Panda. It is very important to note here is that our networking drivers are written and maintained by networking experts. This is not some random driver, written on the weekend by a hobbyists, like the case is with most hobby-targeted boards. So, go ahead, use networking and let us know if you managed to break it.
  4. All future added features to USBizi will come to your FEZ Panda at no additional charge. For example, we are researching adding WiFi support. Of course you can now write some drivers yourself but we are looking for a GHI-maintained driver. We do the work, you have fun :slight_smile:

Freakin heck, that’s awesome.

You

guys

ROCK !!!

You really get a feel of how much work GHI puts into USBizi when reading the book. I think this is an excellent platform for a very competitive ARM7 devboard that can also be flashed to run NETMF (even if its not USBizi).

So how much will it cost? :slight_smile:

Wow, how cool is that! Now we can all have our cake and eat it too. Want to play with porting? OK, use a Panda and GHI’s great book and help. Want to just make some cool stuff then use the GHI firmware. Super!

Wow, very nice. Never seen a white PCB, either. :smiley:

Just tell me when its time to open my wallet :smiley:

It is a beautiful thing! :stuck_out_tongue:

Bravo to the GHI Team for production such a beautiful product

Gus,
You forgot to mention the extra 43 Digital IOs :wink: plus the Arduino compatible IOs.

Alright, I am excited. I am dumb, ignorant and naive and do not understand half of what you said which means I wouldn’t be a good candidate for the first ones…BUT…

I am totally ready to jump both feet in on FEZ…and I am not gonna say the cool ass White board sold me either… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I am ready for the Panda, the literature and components, I just hope you guys are ready to have me be more active in asking alot of dumb questions…LOL

When, Where, What & How for Pre-Orders???

Mike in MN

PS…

Don’t care what the price ends up being…I WANT ONE!!

Mike in MN

Looking great! Shame your manufacturer isnt washing the boards though or using better solder (clean flux) for the soldering of headers. That dirty yellow flux looks nasty :frowning:

Can’t wait to see the price though, I’m hoping i’ll be able to get one soon. Are SFE going to stock these?

MArk,

I think GHI does some of their prototype boards in house. Maybe that is an artifact of that?

I think it looks cool either way…I am IN!

At the end of the day, if it works that’s all that matters.

Mike in MN

Lol, I think the white PCB reveals what dark PCB hides, we might need a bleach from P&G,lol. These are the first rush photos just because we were very excited to show you the new board. Josh will have better photos later this week. And the production boards will be of course different, don’t worry. :wink:

Good to hear :smiley:

I tried about 8 different kinds of solder trying to find a good one that didn’t leave mess and flows nicely (since i do lead free) :slight_smile:

I can think of so many uses for all those lovely lovely IO’s there :smiley:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I will take one (or two) ! :clap:

Very “nice” board, indeed.

[italic]Edit:[/italic]
Btw, I like this one in the PK book : [quote]…When using a GHI NETMF product, [italic][title]you are[/title][/italic] not [italic][title]paying[/title][/italic] for NETMF but [italic][title]for the free[/title][/italic] and unlimited [italic][title]features[/title][/italic][/quote]

There should be another way to say that :wink:

Actually, the boards are washed but since this is a white board, it is very difficult to get it cleaned. Note that the board looks just fine to the eye. Only when you take a picture and enlarge it is when you see the flux. I am looking at one right now and I am not seeing any flux, looks perfect…and very cute!

Yeah! How are you paying for free features? lol this is funny :smiley: We will fix that nonsense…but you get the point :wink:

I added an “edit” to the original post, take a look please :slight_smile:

Look fine to me.

To be honest, I can’t remember of a company that offers that much for that little money :o

:clap: