Fez Medusa Shield 3D - Bluetooth not working

Hi everyone,

I’m a student at the university of Antwerp and I’m having some troubles.
I want to create a bluetooth-connection using the Arduino due, combined with the Fez Medusa Shield 3D and a gadgeteer Bluetooth 1.1 module.

When I compile and upload my code, I can’t find any bluetooth connection and there is nothing printed in my serial monitor.

Does anyone see what I’m doing wrong?

CODE:

#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <Gadgeteering.h>
#include <Mainboards/FEZMedusaShield3D.h>
#include <Modules/Bluetooth.h>

using namespace gadgeteering;
using namespace gadgeteering::mainboards;
using namespace gadgeteering::modules;

fez_medusa_shield_3d board;
bluetooth BT(4);

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.println(“Start”);
BT.set_device_baud(38400);
BT.set_device_name(“Gadgeteer”);
BT.set_pin_code(“1234”);
BT.client_mode();

}

void loop() {
Serial.println(“Hello World”);
delay(1000);
}

Thanks!

@ Verspeeks - Regretfully the Medusa has been discontinued for some time. Not all of the module drivers were ever fully completed or tested, especially the Bluetooth module. I would not rely on the driver we provided in the only SDK release (which I believe was a beta) as working.

@ john - thanks for the explanation!

Is there a way I can fix the issue?
Is there a working driver available on the web?

Thanks!

@ Verspeeks - Since it was discontinued, we never finished the driver. You can find the source at https://bitbucket.org/ghi_elect/gadgeteering if you want to investigate it yourself.

@ john - would it work with another mainboard?
Or should I stop using the bluetooth module and start searching for another way to transfer the data?

@ Verspeeks - It was working in NETMF, though we did discontinue the module itself.

@ Verspeeks - The BT module should work on any Gadgeteer mainboard. I’m not sure if there is a driver for 4.3, but there is an effort in the community to bring discontinued modules up to the latest version.

Hi,
you can use this driver with any Gadgeteer Mainboard, it’s NETMF 4.3

https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/codeshare/entry/933

@ Ro Schmi - Can I use this driver while programming in the Arduino IDE?
Or can I program the Arduino Due + Fez Medusa shield using micro framework?
Because I tried to use it, but I didn’t found the wright way to do it…

Thanks

@ Verspeeks - I only used it with Cerbuino Bee, Cobra II, Spider and Raptor Mainboard. I do not think that it works with the Arduino IDE.

@ Ro Schmi - Ok thanks for your help!

@ Ro Schmi -
I bought a Spider and tried to use the driver in micro framework 4.2, but it says:

“The type or namespace name ‘Serial’ does not exist in the namespace ‘Gadgeteer.Interfaces’ (are you missing an assembly reference?)”

Do you know a solution for this problem?

I think your problem is about versioning. You mention 4.2, is there any reason you’re trying to use that rather than move to the latest 4.3 ? Gadgeteer.Interfaces is possibly a 4.3 namespace.

If you want to use 4.2, you can find a driver for 4.2 in my contribution Y.A. Bluetooth Module driver
https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/codeshare/entry/763

1 Like

@ Brett -
I need to use the Seeed Current Sensor as well and I didn’t find this module in 4.3 so I decided to use 4.2.

@ RoSchmi -

Hi RoSchmi,

Because I’m still a newbie I can’t figure out this problem:

How can I send data from my Spider to any bluetooth device using the bluetooth module?

I did take a look at your driver and your test-program, but it doesnt seem to work…
In the end I would like to make a program that constantly sends data from my Spider to a bluetoothdevice.

I hope you can help me :slight_smile:

In my contributions there are examples for PC and Windows Phone. Besides this there are discussions in the forum. Search for keyword bluetooth

1 Like