FEZ Hydra - OSHW Signal Generator

another view

@ Architect - Thank you. It seems that the code is able to keep up with generating the frequency, to be honest, I am surprised.

So I see to issues
[ol]I might need to use a smaller divider for the clock because it looks like I am overshooting the frequency, going higher than the target frequency
I am probably handling the carrier incorrectly and should be doing it are per the description given by @ devhammer, which of course now seems silly that I did not do that in the first place.[/ol]

I will get cracking on this first thing tomorrow. It is getting a little late or early on this side of the world.

Thank you both @ Architect and @ Devhammer very much and I hope you will bare with me so that we can make this a usable offering.

Have a good night! Great work!

@ taylorza - A little bit more info for you. I looked closer to the collected data

with pulses variating betweeen 12ns and 14ns the period changes from 24ns to 26ns.

Which gives us 41.67kHz and 38.46kHz

@ taylorza - Following upā€¦Iā€™m in the process of finally developing a proper driver for my module (about time), so I just tested the driver on the FEZ Spider under NETMF/Gadgeteer 4.2, using the same code that I was trying to use to test your Hydra firmware.

Results were visually as expected (blinky IR LEDs), and properly operated the IR helicopter. So Iā€™m pretty sure youā€™re right that your current implementation of the carrier frequency overlaid with the buffer of timings is incorrect.

Once youā€™ve had a chance to post an updated version, Iā€™ll give it another shot.

Then, the trick will be figuring out whether or not I can specify more than one required mainboard in the driver (GadgeteerHardware.xml allows you to specify additional required libraries, including mainboard drivers, but Iā€™m not seeing any way to include more than one without ending up requiring both, rather than either).

This is a good case where we as a community need to see how a module can take advantage of non standard features. And maybe even involve the core team if necessary.

Looking forward to see where this goes in future.

I have uploaded a newer version of the Firmware

URL : Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
File : FEZHydra-SignalGenerator-0.2.3.zip

I have made two changes

1. Increased the timer resolution which should help with overshooting the frequency
  2. Re-implemented the carrier algorithm to work as we discussed which now seems more logical

@ Architect, @ Devhammer - Thank you for the additional information, I hope this brings us a step closer to flying the copter with OSHW.

@ taylorza - So, first, a confessionā€¦my earlier code may have been part of the problem, in that I was referencing the wrong socket. :wall:

That said, I just tested the new firmware, with the code pointing to the correct socketā€¦andā€¦

IT WORKS!!! :smiley:

In the initial test code, I was simply passing the module a single command string in a timer over and over, just to test that the helicopter would throttle up. Next, Iā€™ll recreate the entire control rig (without the networking aspect for now), and make sure I can fly the heli via local control. I may also build a separate version of the IR LED Array Driver with a dependency on the Hydra driver and your managed library, and point to this thread in the error message if they arenā€™t there.

Thanks very much for thisā€¦I know @ ianlee74 has been waiting ages to be able to play with the IR LED Array module I sent himā€¦now he can. :slight_smile:

Awesome!

@ devhammer - That is excellent news! I was watching your video of the helicopter on your blog this mornings, it looks very cool.

Thank you again for all the effort you and @ Architect have put in to help with the testing. Your explanation of how the carrier works was key to the success.

Quite a small effort, compared with adding this functionality to the Hydra firmware (something Iā€™d be completely lost attempting), but my pleasure! Once Iā€™ve got the updated rig assembled, Iā€™ll shoot a quick vid and pass it along. :slight_smile:

@ taylorza - Ah, progress, then stalling. Great pattern.

As noted, I was able to get the module working with the custom firmware, but Iā€™m stalled on getting the Hydra version of the driver up and running, due to what appears to be a WiX error, for which I started a separate thread here:

http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/topic?id=10137

Any WiX gurus willing to take a look?

Meanwhile, will proceed with setting up a test rig without using the driver.

OK, test rig built, and all works as expected, as shown in the vid:

http://sdrv.ms/X3tXQI

If I can figure out how to get the driver project for Hydra to build, Iā€™ll be all set! :slight_smile:

@ devhammer - Cool!

My wife had a good chuckle hearing you calling my be my forum nick.

LOL! Always good to keep the wife laughing.

Thanks for the reminder on the WiX issue to check path lengthā€¦that turned out to be the problem.

@ taylorza - I will try new version later tonight and will post LA screenshots.

@ Architect - That will be great, thanks. Now I will start working on implementing multiple concurrent async signals. As I mentioned currently the generator only supports a single async generator, I guess this could be useful for generating multiple low frequency signals.

@ taylorza - I have tested the new firmware - it is accurate. I sampled at the highest rate of 24MHz on my LA and it shows very close to 38KHz.

@ Architect - That is great news. Thank you for your support and effort in testing this.

No problem. Let me know if you want to run any other tests.

I have just put up what I believe to be a feature complete version of the custom FEZ Hydra Firmware with SignalGenerator. The final piece was support for multiple concurrent async generators running.

URL : Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
File : FEZHydra-SignalGenerator-0.3.zip

Now I will start cleaning-up and commenting the code so that I can make it available on codeplex.

5 Likes