Fez Hydra on Linux

no message appears on the screen is locked hydra romBOOT not allowing reset, I’ll make a short video and post the link for you to see that I’m doing the tests.

@ Rajesh - Yes, I will try to have this tested as soon as possible.

I created a 50Meg boot partition(FAT16) on 2GB microsdhc card,copied 3 files which Rajesh provided ,now
I get

RomBOOT

prompt and after few seconds I get another RomBOOT> prompt, looks like it is trying to boot , but cannot boot

-Thanks
-Alok

Hi Alok

Are you on a rev 1.2 Hydra ?

Thanks

Hello Rajesh,

How do I check hydra version number…?, I bought another hydra card in Dec 2012, should be at that level…?

-Thanks
-Alok

Hi Alok,

You should find the revision printed on the board. See the attached image for an example.

Hello

it is rev 1.2

-Thanks
-Alok

Hello,

could you please post line by line procedure to create filesystem on SDcard (ubuntu linux instructions) , also I have microsd card module ( this should not be the problem,SD card and microSD card uses same driver )

-Thanks
-Alok

Alok

Please see http://wiki.tinyclr.com/index.php?title=Linux_on_Hydra#File_System

Hello,

I am aware of this page and I’ve gone through this page, what I am looking is to test images provided by Rajesh , so what type of file system ( FAT16…? ) should be used in initial BOOT ( 50 Meg) partition…? could you provide step by step instructions to prepare 50 Meg boot partition.

-Thanks
-Alok

Well apparently it’s clearly documented on that page… first time I opened it and found this:

[quote]Get a 2 GB (or 1GB) SD Card and make a 50MB partition and format the partition as FAT16. This step can be done using Windows for now. Make sure to give a simple partition name like ‘BOOT’. This will make it easier to figure out the mount point under Linux

SD Card greater than 2GB can not be used for boot. Hydra can read and write to SD HC of any size after boot up.
[/quote]

hello,

I created a partition 50 meg using fdisk ( on Ubuntu linux), used mkdosfs command to create FAT16 file system , copied three files provided by Rajesh, inserted SD (microSD) in sd card module connected the power and serial module ( on socket 5) , I do not get now

RomBOOT

prompt , but after this no messages are printed on console, what I am trying to do here is to isolate why linux is not booting on hydra. when I remove microSD card I do get
RomBOOT

prompt

-Thanks
-Alok

hello,

correction in my previous post, when I insert Microsd in microsd card module , I do not get RomBoot prompt, but when I remove microsd card from microsd card module I do get RomBoot prompt, clearly there is something happening here.

-Thanks
-Alok

You are seeing what seems to be related to Rev. 1.2.

I would appreciate someone with a Rev. 1.1 to test this and the same with a REv. 1.2

@ Rajesh - you created the boot image to version 1.2 ?

No if you follow this thread Rajesh clearly states he only has a rev 1.1 hydra

@ James - you created the boot image to version 1.2 ?

@ malconxx - This is something I will have to test out in my own personal time, as this is not a feature directly or indirectly supported by GHI. Linux on the Hydra is a [em]community[/em] effort. I will try to test this out this weekend.

@ akmishra_99@ yahoo.co - fdisk can be a pain to say the least. You can also use the provided tools to format the disk with the GUI by using gParted, or if you are using Ubuntu 12.04 or later, it is referenced as Disc Utility in Unity.

would be possible to run the operating system created with this tutorial (http://wiki.tinyclr.com/index.php?title=Linux_on_Hydra) on QEMU ?

@ James - the version 1.1 of the hydra uses the processor at91samrl64-cu ?