Fez Hydra DataFlash woes

Has anyone else had trouble erasing the dataflash by shorting out the pins, my Fez Hydra seems to be permanently stuck as as .Net Debugging device, I’ve seen someone using MFDeploy to erase the dataflash, but can’t find the version of MFDeploy he seems to be using.

This forces the SAMBA loader, not erase anything.

I have an easier way for you, open MFDeploy and from the top menu select “Erase Firmware”

@ GUS have tried forcing the pins, but is really unreliable. Do you have a link for the version of MFDeploy I can use please?

Michael,

Shorting the pins of the DataFlash does not erase it. It only bypasses the firmware to allow for it to be updated/erased. Normally when you boot up the board, the bootstrap immediately loads the firmware. By shorting the pins for that moment, you prevent the board from booting from the flash.

What are you trying to actually do?

I’m trying to update the firmware to the latest version, but have been unable to get my hands on an sdcard module in the uk, so I have been trying to short the pins

As Gus mentioned go to Plug-in->Debug->Erase firmware will erase everything.

the only version of MFDeploy I can find i does not have these options!! Do you actually have a link where I can download this version of MFDeploy. The only link I can find is this http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5475, is this the version u r referring to?

Go to the help menu option and tell me what version of MFDeploy do you have. Mine is 4.1.2821.0

You shouldn’t download any version from the internet. MFDeploy is part of your NETMF installation. Look in tools folder.

right, i’ve just uninstalled everything, so I’m re-installing everything. Sorry I missed the fact that it was part of tools! …thanks

Brilliant, I can’t believe I missed it, this is a much better solution. once again thanks for your support, and sorry for being such a numpty…respect

great, ok so the firmware update has run through with the following output
Connecting to device…
Hydra found at Port#: COM6
Device will be updated automatically! DO NOT disconnect or turn off the device!
TinyBooter updated sucessfully. Version number: 4.1.3.1
Updating Firmware. Please wait…
Deploying C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI OSH NETMF v4.1 SDK\FEZ Hydra\Firmware\FEZ Hydra Firmware\ER_CONFIG … successful!
Deploying C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI OSH NETMF v4.1 SDK\FEZ Hydra\Firmware\FEZ Hydra Firmware\ER_FLASH … successful!
Rebooting…
Firmware updated sucessfully. Version number: 4.1.3.1
Updating TinyBooter and Firmware is done!

should it still be showing up in device manager as a debugging device?

Yes that is normal.