FEZ controlled ATMega video capture test

This is the equivalent of an Arduino Uno and the Video Experimenter shield with all the non-essentials stripped off. It’s using a serial interface for commands and to transfer the frame buffer which gets dumped to the FEZ SD. The resolution is only 128x96 but it seems high enough to give the FEZ some basic real time vision.
http://nootropicdesign.com/ve/projects.html

I captured about 500 frames from a random channel then convert to bmp and video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxpycgOGzLg

Interesting.

Defiantly cool.

Took me two tries to figure out it was an All In The Family rerun…

I made a final adjustment and test before I try to do something practical with it. The FEZ now controls the input threshold directly using analog out and I changed the switch that the Video Experimenter uses to a 4066 for software control. The FEZ checks the average frame value each time and adjusts the input threshold until it has a balanced view. I thought it would have to be more complicated but it seems to find a balance no matter how bright or dark the input.

The flicker is because it has to use the same buffer for input and output. It’s just for debugging anyway because the input isn’t normally seen.

What about a video showing all the wires? :slight_smile: Will be fun to see

There really isn’t much to it. I’ll post the code and more detail when I work out a couple application ideas. The ATmega chip is about maxed out just with the basic function so the possibilities get a lot less restrictive with the FEZ in control. It’s even possible now to capture multiple frames at different settings to have more detailed gray scale data instead of pure b&w.

nice!!

Here’s a test that captures 150 frames at different levels then combines them into a gray scale image. There’s a lot of detail available considering it’s only 1 bit input. It’s only practical to 4 levels real time otherwise it’s like taking a photo from the 1800s.

Any update on this? I’m trying to do basically the same thing. Because of the sram limitations on the arduino I need to offload the processing to my fez panda II.

The wiring and source code would be awesome if you could share.

Thanks.