FEZ Cobra with RS485 interface

I have posted my code at

[url]http://code.tinyclr.com/project/280/rs-485-driver-using-rlp/[/url]

Good luck :slight_smile:

Thank you Wouter. This is exactly what i wanted to make and now i donā€™t have to:) I will test it on wednesday and write you some feedback.

I want to make some demos showing that net mf can communicate with devices that our company makes or uses. This requires communication using RS232/485 or Ethernet in most cases.

Hi.

A potential customer asked us whether we could develop a device that can drive several modules via RS485 at the crazy speed of 10Mbps.

Wouter, Is it possible with your amazing RLP driver?

What about hardware connection between FEZ-Cobra and RS-485 nodes?

Thanks!

Several 10mbps?! why?!! and why use RS485?!
Forget the interface, the processor will not be able to keep up with such bandwidth.

Several 10mbps connections would require very specialized hardware. Think of how the speed of the network interface has followed the speed of your PC. It take a lot of processor speed and memory to handle fast connections.

To my knowledge, Siemensā€™s ā€œprofibusā€ uses RS485 at speed up to 12Mb/s
You will need a dedicated board to handle those type of links/speedsā€¦ managed code is out of scope !

Well, to be honest 10Mbps is the bandwidth for the whole bundle, but I wonder if .NET MF Serial Port driver EMX (or Chipworks) comes with is able to reach such speed.

Nicolas: Dedicated boards can be an option: do you know of some RS-232/RS-485 bridge or Ethernet/RS-485 that can reach that speed?

Did anybody try native RLP driver by Wouter Huysentruit?

Unfortunately, noā€¦
I am not sure if .NET / managed code is the best for such bandwitdh.
Of course you can use RLP for the part of your program using that much data, but I canā€™t be sure !

I use the driver on 9600 bps because I need long wires (+1,2km)

I poll a module with 2 bytes, the module answers with 1 byte. This way I can scan 100 modules/secondā€¦ (largly due to the delay between managed code and native code).

I wouldnā€™t even try 10Mbps :slight_smile: It just wonā€™t work.

Is the great code from wouters also available for chipworkx module? Or what is necessary to do, so that the code is also functional on the chipworkx?
Would be nice to get an answer as soon as possible, thank you!