Failed to upgrade TinyBooter(EMX) from 4.2.0.0 to 4.2.9.0. MFDeploy could not find the EMX name now

@ andre.m -
yes, I just tried to install the drive manually. but no luck :frowning:

@ Brett -

thanks. The problem is before I update tinybooter, the initial version is 4.2.0.0. and I could get it worked on my pc. After I update tinybooter to 4.1 or 4.2.9.0, I could not find the USB interface in device manager. that is way I am trying to roll the version back.

Also, I havenā€™t install SDK (4.2.0.0) before. I installed 4.2.9.0, and the USB drive works fine with the device before.

@ andre.m -

Here is a photo - there are two mainboards, the old one has nothing problem to upgrade to 4.1. The new one doesnā€™t work in 4.1 and 4.2.9.0.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10375381/IMG_0691.JPG

@ andre.m -

yes. but actually I update the old one to EMX 4.1. The USB name is more strange - Old one is EMX_EMX and new one is Embedded Master_Embedded Master. Because after we get EMX from GHI, we flashed 3.0 to the new devices. Because GHI doesnā€™t produce old device and not support 3.5, we have to move software to 4.1 (old device doesnā€™t support 4.2).

Iā€™ve tried with Firmware Updater but still get no luck.

the worse is I could not update tinybooter to 3.0 again :(((

@ andre.m -
@ Gus -

Very strange. I just test the third new device. In the beginning I could find the device on PC, MFDeploy works fine. But once I connect the device via tera term with baute rate 115200, now PC could not find the USB name any more!!!

Now I donā€™t dare to try more devices.

Hi Andre,
JKust responding on Phoenix Chenā€™s behalfā€¦
This ā€œupgradeā€ is not done by us, but by the PCB-vendor/factory, so we do have indeed 25 devices that are loaded with 3.0. Is there anything we could do to save theme, or is it a lost causeā€¦ I mean is it not fixable ?

Best regards
Dan

@ andre.m -

normally we use USB/network mode to debug. But we use serial port mode to update tinybooter.

Yes, that is right. The factory, has flashed them with wrong firmwareā€¦ :frowning:

No, all of them run Embedded Master firmware, but the firsttime they boot up, we are able to ā€œseeā€ them, next them we do not see/discover the devices at allā€¦

@ andre.m -

First time I connected the new device to my PC, I can find the USB name in MFDeploy.exe and I could monitor the log message. Then I use tera term to connect the device, change baud rate to 115200, reconnect the device via serial port on tera term. Then I reboot the device by replug usb cables (one for usb, another one for serial port). However I found I had to tear down the box - because the buttons are inside of the box. Then I found the PC could not found the device any more. :frowning:

So, actually I just connected the device with tera term on baud rate 115200 and done nothing, the device is gone.

gone mean I could not find usb name or a device in device manager.

@ andre.m -
no output. But now I can press % and reset button to enter bootloader mode to update tinybooter.ghi.

@ andre.m -
the problem is after I upload tinybooter.ghi, I could not find the USB name any more. That is the reason I have no way to update firmware via MFDeploy.exe.

Hidden devices it is only for the device manager. In the boot firmware, dispatcher, not what is seen, and Uploder also not see the device.

So thereā€™s been mention of ā€œEmbedded Masterā€ modules here. If youā€™re using EM, not EMX, then you will NOT want to put 4.2 firmware on it. 4.1 is the last EMX firmware that supports the EM hardware. Please clarify what modules youā€™re talking about here!!!

@ Phoenix Chen - I had a issue like this with G120 (not showing in device manager) :

PCB B
Starts up with version 4.2.4.0 ā€œWaiting for debug commandsā€¦ā€ on the TE35
and shows in device manager as ā€œDebuggable .Net Micro Framework Deviceā€ (see screenshot)
I run theG120 updater from "C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI Premium NETMF v4.2 SDK\Firmware Update"
Connect the G120, pull LDR0 and LDR1 to GND and reset the G120.
G120 reboots and showā€™s TinyBooter v4.2.0.0 ā€œWaitingā€ on the display.
At this point the ā€œDebuggable .Net Micro Framework Deviceā€ is removed in the device manager BUT no other device is showing up?
I woul expect the GHI Boot Loader Interface on a COM port but no device showing.
Then i pulled LDR0 and LDR1 to the 3.3V and execute step 5 on the G120 Updater but get the message ā€œCan not connect to the device etc etcā€
What looks normal to me because there is no detected device.

Full story in :
http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/topic?id=10823

Bottom line: i was booting in thiny boot ā€¦ because I wired 3 G120 boards at pin 2.1 instead of 2.10 ā€¦

@ David@ Emrol - Isnā€™t it the same number? :wink:

As in ā€œthe actual numeric valueā€ yes, maybe thatā€™s why i made the mistakeā€¦ the brain is something weird sometimes :wink:

Was just pulling your chain :smiley: