Extender Module Question

Hi guys,

Me again with what will probably seem like a dumb question, but here goes…

What can I plug in to the other side of an extender module?

As mentioned I intend to control some servos/ESCs etc using PWM on sockets 8 & 11. If I am programatically using pin 7/8/9 on the extender in each of those sockets, is there a limit on what I can plug to the other side of the extender…?

Perhaps my question is, is my using certain pins off the extender, “removing” those pins from use by modules further down the chain? (I’m not sure that made any more sense…)

Thank you!!!

All the pins from both sockets and the edge pads are all straight through connections. So, it can be used to “extend” a cable. Don’t get me started… Check this out if you have other needs.

In other words, it’s not intended to chain modules only cables.

Thanks Ian, mystery solved!

:slight_smile:

This is a very handy module, plug it into a breadboard and you can prototype different modules on a breadboard. I use it a lot while trying different ideas for modules. It is also an easy way of hooking up a logic analyzer for example . For a DaisyLink module prototyping you will need to use 2 of these.

Agreed. I don’t have a project going that doesn’t use at least one Extender. However, I think that “extending” a cable is probably it’s least useful purpose. Strange name me thinks :wink:

Yeah, agreed.

I would be just as happy with a simpler/cheaper single socket “Pin Out” module for breadboarding, I can’t really think of a good reason why I would need to extend a cable.

Hmm… if the module builder’s guidelines were stretched a bit and the IDC socket was put in the middle of a small “breadboard breakout” module… maybe throw in a diode for protecting the mainboard…

I just ordered a big new breadboard that will need a couple of these, too… hmm… :think:

Okay, here’s a modified extender. I call it the “Make Bread” module… no mounting holes as it is for a breadboard. Whaddaya think? Should I add a protection diode?

Awhile back I got a sample dozen of the through hole IDC from Samtec. Anybody prefer this in TH? The pins are really close together, so it’s debatable whether it would be any easier to solder.

Btw, bend legs on Samtec TH and it will be exactly the same as SM.

@ architect - yep, i did that on the DuinoProto. The TH pins are a hair longer than SM, so made it slightly easier to solder on.

Love it!

@ ransomhall - That’s exactly what I’ve had in mind. It’s hard to complain about the cost of the Extender but this design would make it maybe a buck cheaper and fit on a breadboard better. The shipping product should also include the pins (not soldered on). I’d rather have SMT just so there’s nothing jagged on the bottom to potentially short out.

Shouldn’t the socket be turned around? I’d also find it useful to at least label the #1 pin on the socket since I’m regularly going back to the docs to remind myself.

I added a TH Schottky diode, since I have a bunch already, so here’s what I’ll do… switch this to a TH IDC, and since I’m such a nice guy also do one that is all SMT (IDC and diode). I’ll get a few of the TH variety made, see how they turn out, and then we can try v2 with SMT.

If this is for a breadboard, wondering why it matters which way the IDC is positioned? Remember, I’ve already tossed out “sticking to the spec” :slight_smile:

BTW - it would only be a buck cheaper if GHI made 1000 of them…

I suppose it doesn’t really matter but my general rule is to follow the rules until the rules get in the way :wink:

Why bother with the vias on pin 9? Might make fab a wee bit cheaper.

BTW ransomhall, how did you get the connector samples from Samtec? I feel like, that could be a handy thing to have on hand…

EDIT: I guess my question is actually, not how did you get the samples, I can see the link clearly on their site, but what was the part number for the sockets?

EDIT2: Found this in another thread: SHF-105-01-L-D-SM but can’t figure out how to add to the samples cart…? Hmmm.

Cheers!

@ Rossman

Thanks, but I can’t seem to add the item to the samples cart.

If I put in the part number it says this isn’t a samtec part. If if I don’t put it in, it complains that it’s not supplied.

Ugh.

@ ianlee74 - regarding the pin9 route - I did an autoroute, which usually only gets it about 80% right, so will tweak a few of the routes and add socket letter text.

Looks like Laen is a bit overwhelmed with fab orders at the moment. Based on @ devhammer’s recent experience it might be a bit (a few weeks?) before these get made.

Disclaimer - this was a total shot from the hip last night, and is not a “production ready” design. While I doubt it will create magic blue smoke on your mainboard, I do not guarantee anything if you decide to get one.

@ ransomhall

One thing I noticed was some of the traces have 90 degree turns. While I confess I don’t understand the why of it, Architect recommended against that when we were looking at my IR module design. Just something to consider.

For my module, I ended up figuring out how to export the Gerbers from Eagle, and just uploaded to BatchPCB and placed an order for 10 boards. I think their turnaround is usually 2-3 weeks, but I’m glad to at least get the order moving. :slight_smile:

@ Rossman - I had to register as a business on their site to get the samples, if I remember correctly. I maintain a “sole proprietorship” from my independent consulting days just for this kind of thing :wink:

@ devhammer - Thanks for the tip. Exciting to actually make some hardware, isn’t it? Quite refreshing after many years of not ever being able to physically put my hands on my work :slight_smile: