Ever thought of using a "pro" RC car as a robot chassis?

Hey,

Would it be possible to control the Electronic Speed Controller from the ZX_Servo16 component, for use in the RC car?

Probably. An ESC is really just a kind of servo. It takes the same PPM wave to drive it, but the timings may be different. I haven’t bought a car yet, so I’m not sure how different it is.

Why would you use fiberglass (Expensive) if you could use plexi (cheap) ?

Because I know hwo to lay fiber glass up and I can probably get cheap access to the materials. :stuck_out_tongue:

Plus, I can mold fiberglass with all the curves in it that I need and I can make it is light or as heavy as I want.

It may be expensive and more time consuming to deal with, but it’s far more easily customized.

I purchased a car. I tried it with the Servo 16. Then I set fire to the ESC. Does anyone know definitively how different it is from an actual servo?

Not very different. It’s the same PPM wave, but I don’t know exactly how different it is.

Check out the signal with a scope?

When, I get the car, that’s what I plan to do. I’ll patch in a length of wire from the RX to the ESC and probe it. With the Ruslter and Stampede, there agree three modes on the ESC, so the timings will have to be adjusted for each of them.

I might buy the car today if I can find a good price on it. I’m gonna call my hobby shop and see what’s up.

Welp, I bought a Traxxas Stampede after seeing what other people have done with them. Should be here sooner or later…

I’ll be blogging my progress on the project: chrisseto.com

Nice car! I can’t wait to see progress! 8)

Well, here’s something to nibble on…

This is a very incomplete and simplified operations chart, but it should illustrate what I’m trying to do.

I could use some suggestions for the roam mode, however. Basically, if the roboto bumps into anything on the way to the waypoint, it will have to obviously find a way to get around the object. That’s difficult to do, however, without a full picture of what’s actually around the robot, which this project won’t have (at least, not until later).

So, I came up with roam mode. Basically, the robot would roam around aimlessly in some sort of pattern looking for a clear shot to the next waypoint. If it didn’t find one after X time and the waypoint is deemed to be unrequired (this will be a waypoint option when the drive plan is filed) then the robot will attempt switch to direct mode, and set up for a straight shot to the next waypoint.

Anyway, here’s the flow chart. Lemme know if you think you have a better idea for any of this.

Alright, here’s another update…

One of the issues I’m trying to work right now is how to power the electronics.

The BEC (basically a fancy word for SMPS that hooks up to the RC battery in RC lingo) on the ESC only supplies 6VDC at 1amp, although since I would step it down, that turns into 5VDC @ 1.2amps.

I don’t think 1.2 amps is enough to power the electronics. Maybe just the two servos, but not the compass, GPS, IMU, FEZ Domino, Netduino, etc.

So, what I could do is get a new BEC, like this one:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSWL3&P=ML
A battery connection splitter:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXKM9&P=ML
And a set of female connectors
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSDC4&P=ML

Total: $43.36 shipped

What do you guys think? Here’s my ever-evolving block diagram:

Two servos do not draw high amperage, although I am afraid these are too much electronics for this power supply line.

Also, you might want to split motor (servo) from the rest of the electronics (sensor). This is not needed, but I always split motor and sensor if it comes to power supply.

I’m thinking right now that the the Castle BEC in my previous post will power the electronics, and the XL-5 BEC will be used to power the servos.

good idea! Everything is separated like it should if you do it like this :slight_smile:

I think that’s the only way. I’m thinking the electronics will pull maybe 2-3 amps MAX, which is way out of the XL-5’s spec.

Then do it like this. This should be fine :slight_smile:

Hey, don’t they advise not to use 2 BECs in 1 setup? Just checking so that I’ll know.

The chassis came today!

As for two BECs, I don’t see an issue there. A BEC is just a SMPS, so I think it’ll be ok. I’ll check anyway before I connect, though.

Is this freakin’ sweet or what :o