Ethernet module and the February SDK - DHCP is not working

Is this a patch cable versus cross over issue, are the network modules autosensing?

Pete,

Take a look at your router’s support website. They might have a newer firmware.

@ Joe

Yes, I checked. I have the latest (supported) firmware on my router.

Non-working cables:

1. YYD CAT.5 UTP 24AWG 2PAIR AWM 2835 60C FT4 ETL VERIFIED EIA/TIA-568A-CM
  2. CSA 221236 TIA/EIA-568-b.2 CAT 5e UTP VEGA TECH E189529 AWM 2835 24AWG 60C VW-1

Working cable:
TYPE CM 24AWG 75C (UL) E212964 ETL VERIFIED TO EIA/TIA 568B CAT.5 PATCH CABLE A2C132

I’d hesitate to draw conclusions from that, but maybe it’ll help

Pete

@ Pete : Have you a RJ11 ethernet cable tester … may be connection not all ok.
I faced very often problem with cables, but really these problems are related with autosensing port in the switch.
I’ve got an HP Procurve switch and all the cables worked fine and the network is 50% faster now. Beware to the low cost switch.

@ dobova

In theory I agree with you. However, the Gadgeteer is supposed to be very friendly to the general interested population of developers. It’s unreasonable to tell them that a cable and switch that works with all their other equipment won’t work with NETMF, IMHO.

I’d also need to do a real scientific test before I’m sure it’s the cables and not some random network traffic or other factors.

Pete

On the cable tester. I have one somewhere from when I wired my house. Not sure where at the moment, though :slight_smile:

I’ve seen real-world cases where autonegotiation caused big problems with equipment, and this is with quality stuff (Cisco). I’ve never seen it with my cheap stuff at home, but I have with expensive stuff in datacenters (go figure…).

I can attest to the cable problem. I’m using the Spider and am new to Gadgeteer and have just been banging my head against for a few hours. Ended up changing cables and it worked. The bad cable doesn’t work for DHCP or staticly assigned - so no network at all. I’m not sure what other cables are actually involved since it’s going to a wall socket then back to a patch panel, then to a switch, then to a DHCP server, etc. But changing the final cable going to the device seems to have fixed it. Both Cat 5 Patch.

Works: Enhanced Cat5 UTP 350Mhz CM 75C UTP 4PR 24AWG Verified (UL) E201403 CSA LL109448 ETL Verified to TIA/EIA-568-A Patch Cable
Doesn’t Work: Belden JYJP37FG004 Enhanced Catch 5 Patch E154336-8 (UL) CM 4PR 24AWG UTP 75C 0899 44771 Meter