Efficient and Clean Offerings

The source-code repositories
As we continue to streamline our processes and reorganize the company to be more efficient we have decided that we will no longer be pushing to any of our CodePlex repositories and they will be taken down at some point. Instead, we have moved all of our code to Bitbucket. You can see our available repositories at https://bitbucket.org/ghi_elect . Currently we have Gadgeteer, FEZ Hydra, NETMF 4.2 OSHW, Glide, and Gadgeteering. We will push to those repositories as we make changes and not just during an SDK release. This means that if the source is downloaded and compiled, it may be in an unknown or untested state, or it may contain features that may not be released. Where applicable, we will tag the last commit that made it into an SDK release with that SDK’s name.

Where is the FEZ Spider II?
After months of back-and-forth and comparisons between the FEZ Spider and the FEZ Spider II, we have decided to release the Spider II on http://www.turnkeyassembly.com/ as a special order and keep the original spider as the stock item. Also, in the weeks to come, we will be releasing a new Spider kit and discontinuing the original Spider kit. The new kit will contain similar modules as the FEZ Cerberus Tinker Kit. This is being done to simplify the documentation process while still offering an exciting .NETMF kit.

Documentation
All NETMF documentation is updated to reflect the latest NETMF 4.3 release. Everything you need, from the NETMF references to our library’s are found on one page https://www.ghielectronics.com/support/netmf do not forget to click on tutorials to get to this page https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs?tags=netmf
The rest of the documentation is also in the works and we expect to have everything completed in the near future.

Micro USB
We will begin switching out the mini USB connector on devices in lieu of the micro USB connector. As we begin new production runs of products we will be installing the micro USB instead of the mini USB connectors.

RTC on Hydra
The RTC crystal will be installed on the FEZ Hydra in the next release.

CP7 and TE35 Displays
Unfortunately, we have recently been surprised by one of our display partners, they have informed us that they will no longer be able to supply us with the displays used for the TE35 and the CP7. As we research and develop replacement displays, the new displays may not be a “drop-in” replacement for the current display, especially the CP7. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please contact us if you have a high volume need and must use the exact display.

We would like to thank you for your continued support!

2 Likes

Ok, so now I get it. Cerberus firmware is free to use.

Where did you read this in the post? It was not mentioned here but was in previous posts. Let me clarify this again please. Cerberus is free and open in 4.2 but in 4.3 and hoping forward it is not open source and is licensed to be used on GHI hardware only or on non-GHI-non-commercial projects.

@ Gary. The bitbucket link has a decimal point on the end and gave me a oops, bad link page. It was hard to spot at first due the t on the end :slight_smile:

The original post has been modified, thanks Dave! :wink:

I’ve asked many times, but I have yet to see Cerberus 4.3 licencing terms. All I can find is

[em]Software License Agreement

Under this Software License Agreement (the “Agreement”), GHI Electronics (the “Vendor”) grants to the user (the “Licensee”) a non-exclusive and non-transferable license (the “License”) to use the GHI Electronics NETMF SDK (the “Software”).

“Software” includes the executable computer programs and any related electronic and online documentation and any other files that may accompany the product.

Title, copyright, intellectual property rights and distribution rights of the Software remain exclusively with the Vendor. Intellectual property rights include the look and feel of the Software. This Agreement constitutes a license for use only and is not in any way a transfer of ownership rights to the Software.

This software and documentation are made available “as is” without any warranty as to their performance, merchantability, or fitness for any particular purpose. The licensee assumes the entire risk as to the quality and performance of the software. In no event shall the Vendor or anyone else who has been involved in the creation, development, production, or delivery of this software be liable for any direct, incidental, or consequential damages, such as, but not limited to, hardware devices, loss of anticipated profits, benefits, use, or data resulting from the use of this software.
[/em]

But I can’t see a word relating Cerberus. There’s a freely distributed FW with no licencing term [em]anywhere[/em], hence it’s free to use. No?

Oh, and it’s all about 4.3.

@ Simon from Vilnius - It’s free for non-commercial use, once you decide to use it commercially it needs to be licensed. All who want to use it commercially should contact us. We will work on making this more clear.

Umm, may I ask. Is the development resources for legacy modules gone forever?

Have you plans to write in the docs what version they are targeted?

Not a fan of microSD personally. I find the connectors tend to break off the board after a bit of rough treatment. Just spent an hour today trying to fix one that had come up and ripped up all the tracks.

EDIT-find(“SD”) replace(“USB”). doh

The news was about micro-usb connectors, not micro-sd connectors. Have you had trouble with the micro-usb connectors on other boards coming up?

@ Blue Hair Bob - doh. I meant micro USB. I’ve been having other problems with micro SD today. To be clear I like microSD connectors and dislike microUSB.

Mini-USB connectors (now officially deprecated so will get harder to source) have a pretty woeful insertion count target of 1500 insertions versus 10,000 for micro

1 Like

microUSB is a good choice, at least one is sure to have a Quality cable to use, with all the smart phones supporting, unlike the Mini USB where it was always a matter of luck finding a good quality cable, also the availability is a whole a lot better…

cheers,

For the types that have through hole mounting tabs, they are more preferable for rough handling (for people like Hagster who must have big sausage fingers :stuck_out_tongue: ) than the purely SMD type.

1 Like

I have never had any USB connector fail due to the number of insertions. They fail because either dirt and stuff gets inside, or the mechanical stresses break the connections to the PCB.

The current miniUSB connector I use has 2 plastic locating TH pins that prevent twisting forces and 4 large-ish solder lugs to hold it in place. On the whole it is reassuringly rugged. This seems typical of miniUSB pcb sockets.

I think that most cell phones use the case to provide extra mechanical support for the USB connector and as such these seem fairly robust. Our bare PCBs will not have this benifit and are thus a little more fragile.

If microUSB is the chosen route can I ask is that the microUSB connector is not simply selected as the result of a digikey lowest price sort. There are various micro connectors availiable that have stronger mounting mechanisms and some consideration should be given to it. I feel that a bit of extra though here will lead to a lot less broken boards for everyone.

http://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/299/discontinued-gadgeteer-product-drivers

@ Gary - Please rethink your reply before I rocket into serious complaints! Especially the first one!
:snooty: :snooty:

@ njbuch - email me before you rocket or rocket in the email.

Taking a free open source firmware (ie Cerb) and closing it, making it pay for commercial use seems backwards to me.

I think my NETMF hiatus probably needs to continue. I’ve always been a big fan of GHI and its offerings. Things have been a bit rough the past year with documentation issues, pulling products with almost no notice (discontinuing is fine but give some heads up first, 6mo+), incomplete drivers, website issues, etc.

I have full faith you’ll turn things around and return to the powerhouse you once were. I look forward to it.

2 Likes