EBlock Expansion in Reverse == EBlock Compaction?

I’m working on a project using a Domino at present. Eventually I’ll move it over to a Spider, but right now I’m using a Domino. Anyhow I bought Gadgeteer relay modules but wanted to try and use them with the Domino. It turns out the Gadgeteer Expansion module can be used in reverse as well. I used it to allow me to use the Domino’s EBlock shield with the Gadgeteer relay module.

I was going to suggest DuinoProto but this is easier! I love this module and extender module, very simple yet very powerful.

Thinking bout this some more, this will give you one power source. It could be 3.3V or 5V using the switch but not both. This is okay for most modules.

One other thing this goofy arrangement lets you do is breakout a few signals from a Gadgeteer connector. If you have a module that does not use all of the I/O lines you could use two of the EBlock expansions and a bunch of EBlock cables to patch over the signals you needed and leave the free signals exposed for other uses. It would kind of silly looking but a good and quick method for doing a prototype.

I do plan on putting the motor driver modules I got from Pololu on DuinoProto boards. Since each motor driver module drives two motors and requires a PWM signal, a two logic signal for each motor, and an enable line for each module it means that each of the sockets that provide PWM on the Spider can support one motor driver. Unfortunately it also ties up the other two free PWMs. I guess I could mount three motor drivers on one Duinoproto and use three sockets. That would provide all the signals needed.

The code is 90% done and the physical part of the project is about 50% done. In a week or so I’ll reveal a very cool and fun FEZ based project :slight_smile:

Looking forward to see pictures and even videos :slight_smile:

Nice!

That’s some clever hacking…good work.

Jeff - how is going with this project?

If my motor controller is unable to handle the load I’m going to place on it, I was thinking of using the Gadgeteer one the GHI sells with the expansion block as well.

I too am using a Domino with the JST shield.

I wonder if you could also use the Extender Module or the MakeBread module to do the same without the 3pin connectors and solder right to the Gadgeteer Extender Module. Isn’t that effectively what you’re doing?

The difference is that using the other modules is permanently using the wires for that purpose, where as JST on both ends allows for better reuse of the wires.

As far as drivers, how does it work with using Gadgeteer modules on a “classic” FEZ device? I’d imagine that you need to modify them for which pins are in use.

This project is a FEZ controlled shooting gallery. The students are building air powered ping pong ball guns. Myself and my co-instructor and our TA are building the shooting gallery. The gallery consists of four rows of of five targets and a ‘multiplier station’ which has five round targets ranging from 15" to 4" in diameter (place front-back in large->small order). When the game is started for the first 30 seconds they can only shoot at the multiplier station. The first target give then a multiplier of 1 and if they knock down more multipliers that can get up to a multiplier of 2.

Then the second stage starts and lets them shoot at the rows of targets. The targets are worth various points. Each target uses a magnetic reed switch to to sense when it is knocked down. This lets us score things in real time.

The code is done except for adding a GUI. The gallery is done except for installing the connectors on the wires and rigging up the motors to automatically reset the targets. We’ll have the wiring done this week in time for the first practice session. Then we’ll get the reset motors figured out.

I likely won’t get this ported over to the Gadgeteer platform for use with the class due to the lack of time. Chris Seto and I have been conspiring to make a desktop version using Air Soft guns.

Now, that sounds like fun! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Please, post some photos when you are done.