Dump firmware via JTAG

Is it possible to dump a copy of the original USBizi firmware by using a JTAG debugger/programmer? Such as http://www.sparkfun.com/products/7834

from my research, I need to wire up the JTAG, and then use OpenOCD, the commands for reading flash memory are here:

reading the LPC2387 datasheet, there are three levels of code protection, and any one of them disables JTAG.

So does anybody know if the code is protected?

I think it is:

http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/2/1809/

That sucks, is there a way to run non-interpreted code while still retaining the USBizi firmware? I have a 132x32 black/white graphic LCD that uses a 20MHz SPI bus and I want the best framerate possible, I didn’t find any provisions for accessing SPI in any of the GHI namespaces. I might also want to use a button matrix and I’d love for that to run natively.

I want to use SPOT and I love how easy it is to work with strings in C#, but the I really need ARM7 performance.

Look for RLP on this forum and documentation.

From what I gathered, RLP is only available on ChipworkX and EMX

wouldn’t what your looking for be fezopen firmware. add your stuff compile and deploy your own firmware.

I am exploring that option, and will be messing with .NET uFramework porting in general, but I really like some of the things implemented in the GHI version.

Netduino is looking like a better option for me at this moment

I do not understand? The OP does not want to buy GHI chips or boards, just take some of the code that GHI sells? Does not sound right to me?

How is a binary firmware dump let you add anything to the firmware?
You need RLP or fezopen. I suggest you learn more about netmf and it’s pk before making a decision

I’d like to buy a chip with the GHI firmware preloaded, but would also like the option of messing around with the lower level stuff without worrying about losing the original firmware

I do not understand. This is a single chip not a PC that can run multiple applications! How do you keep the GHI firmware and at the same time run your own code?

You will have to erase the chip and then load your own code which means you are loosing the great features GHI put into FEZ.

If you are looking for adding something specific to the firmware for a serious and commercial application then all you have to do is contact GHI and ask them to add it fro you.

If you are a tinkerer and want to dig in the porting kit for the fun of it, then we have fezopen and a porting book to get you started.

There is also netduino like you said, which is just like FEZ running fezopen firmware…but of course FEZ Panda is faster processor with more peripherals and more IOs.
Look around the forum, do some reading, visit the porting kit and then decide on what you want to use. There are surly many options

Gus

I think it is as simple … the OP does not want to buy two chips.

The price of one set of hardware will probably be over $100, I do not want to buy two chips and de-solder and re-solder a LQFP100 chip, or build two sets of my circuit. But I would like to judge the difference between implementing my functions using .NET and without .NET. It’s not for a serious commercial application and I do not overstretch my budget, and I have a deadline so I can’t just ask GHI to do it and hope.

The only reason I’m looking at the LPC family is apparently they have the SD card 4 bit bus protocol built-in

The porting book is incomplete, and FEZOpen has no code commenting

Event if FEZ Open would have been released if would only have some basic functionality initially, the more advanced features will be implemented in time, by the community.

4bit SD card is an advanced feature (the spec is hundreds of pages long) so I don’t think that will be available anytime soon in FEZ Open.

Also: if you erase the USBizi firmware you won’t be able to flash it back because it’s not available to the GHI customers.

About Netduino: yes you have access to the firmware source code but it’s incomplete at the moment: PWM and AnalogIn are not available.

I am not sure if this infromation wil help you. If you would like to learn more about SD interface driver for LPC. NXP offers many source code examples on their website.

I’ve found 4 bit mode SD card access with FAT filesystem examples here http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/arm_projects/arm_memcards/index.html , I need to find a way to get this into the FEZ firmware, unless it’s provided already

Right now I just need to .NET Micro Framework, I already have many of my design’s “puzzle pieces” in straight up C, if I can figure out how to call native non-managed compiled C or C++ functions from within C#, I’ll be good-to-go with both LPC and ARM and would probably pick LPC just because of the 4 bit SD card mode