Domino + reading xbee RSSI (Remote Signal Strength Indicator)

I made you a video showing how to test two xbee using transparent mode and check their current RSSI using AT command. The only thing i lied you about is that when you want to switch to AT mode DON’T press enter after ‘+++’.

Unfortunately I do not have two usb explorers.
Is there a way to test this with one connected to fez and one connected to the laptop?

Of course, just connect your FEZ to XBee and write a simple app that will open serial port and send back everything it receives. This way when you send data using X-CTU you should get an echo. Since you receive echo you can check the RSSI of the last received packet. Try to walk away with your laptop to decrease the RSSI.

Roger that. That makes sense indeed.
Unfortunately I won’t be able to test it tomorrow, but I will try to on friday 8)

Thanks again Gralin, I keep you posted 8)

Any luck ?

Hello Gralin!

Sorry it took a while :stuck_out_tongue:
I have tested it and it seemed to work flawlessly! ;D
I even managed to finally get my xbees updates to version 10e8 :stuck_out_tongue:

Basically these are my results:

Next to each other:

A little further (around 4-5 meters)

Even further (around 10-15 meters)

Walked back and placed them next to each other again:

So I guess we can say that it works very good.
By the way the video was very helpful, thank you!

Glad you got it working :slight_smile:

So basically I am getting the value in -db.
Is there a graph or something so that I can determine which value would be around which value in meters?
Which signal strength would be too low?

Hey Gralin,

I do not know if you are busy, so please don’t mind my double post.
How would this be possible while using it with FEZ?

With my robot I am sending constant data back an forth between the robot and the laptop.
I do not think I can just use AT commands between sending data, or can I?

Would be great to see the distance in the GUI running at the laptop. ;D

Foekie, I think you can just issue +++ then your AT command in the middle of a transfer if you want to issue a command. Anything else before the +++ will get sent to the other end, the +++ is the escape sequence and then it goes into AT command mode. Not sure how you get back out though ! :slight_smile:

Exactly as Brett said. If you want to get back from AT mode to Transparent mode just send “ATCN\n”

Is that all? That would be perfect!
I am rewriting my robot code and will test it as soon as things start working!

Thanks a lot all who helped! ;D