Domino: Problems writing to SD card

Well, apparently the problem I am having with writing to that SD card is specific to SanDisk cards. I was able to log data to a PNY brand 2 GB card for over 3 hours with no problems. I found a second 2 GB SanDisk card. It is brand new (purchased at the same time as the first one) and had never been used. I tried logging on that one and the same exception occurred after 384 seconds of logging.

Hmmmm …

Can be a bad batch.

Can we borrow this card to do some testing on it?

Sure Gus … I’ll put it in the mail tomorrow morning.

Thanks :slight_smile: Send to my attn. at GHI’s mailing address

Any update on this? I’m seeing something VERY similar with my brand new FEZ Domino on a Sandisk 2Gb SD card. It kinda defeats the point of my domino if I can’t get it to work.

Sometimes it will write a file, a few bytes and then die. Other times I just get something like this… I wish I had checked the forums before buying one, I would have waited until all of the SD card issues were resolved.

I’d add that the same micro SD card works fine in a USB to micro SD card “flash adapter” when plugged into the USB Host port on the Domino, it’s MUCH slower than others have reported at about 5-9KB/sec, but at least it works.

The thread '<No Name>' (0x2) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    #### Exception System.IO.IOException - CLR_E_FILE_IO (1) ####
    #### Message: 
    #### Microsoft.SPOT.IO.NativeFileStream::Write [IP: 0000] ####
    #### System.IO.FileStream::Write [IP: 002a] ####
    #### SDTest.Program::SDTest [IP: 0051] ####
    #### SDTest.Program::Main [IP: 003b] ####
A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.IOException' occurred in Microsoft.SPOT.IO.dll
An unhandled exception of type 'System.IO.IOException' occurred in Microsoft.SPOT.IO.dll

Uncaught exception 
The thread '<No Name>' (0x1) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

all SD cards should work just fine. We have tested, and many users have tested, hundreds of SD cards. If you see a problem with one card that doesn’t mean all cards will give you problems.

…not to worry, GHI never leaves anyone unhappy. We get the SD problem fixed or return Domino and get your money back :slight_smile: You are in good hands

Thanks, I appreciate the supporting words. As it turns out the card was a Kingston 2GB SD (not SDHC) card that is probably 4 years old (my eyes aren’t great at reading that tiny text). As I said in my earlier post, it works just fine in a USB flash adapter plugged into the USB Host port which is good. The speed report I had was off for some reason, I’ve now tested all of my microSD and USB flash drives and get between 10KB/s and 230KB/s which is quite a bit faster. I also found a 64MB (yes, MB) Sandisk micro SD that I had that works just fine in the micro SD card slot. Clearly something is up with the direct SD capability of the Domino since this is just one of many threads where someone has had the exact same problem with SD. My advice to folks is to try the SD card slot and if it’s acting up, switch quickly to the USB Host. The code is nearly the same and if they can avoid a day of frustration like I had they’ll be much happier.

Overall I like the FEZ, I’ve really only had trouble with this one issue. Being new to .NET MF and GHI products (not to .NET or C#) I assumed that there was something I was doing wrong, so I kept trying different things to get it to work. Since it kind of worked, sometimes I kept at it for WAY too long before checking the forums. I know better for next time. Again thanks for the quick response.

Remember that what you see on the forum maybe older than the latest release SDK or even the post id few SDKs older :slight_smile:

I see that you have two problems:

1. problem with SD write process with Kingstone cards:
    Solution: We notice that some kingstone cards withdraw relatively higher power that regular SD cards on writing process, causing the power line on the SD_PWR to go down.
    To lower the impact of that, only If you have experience with electronics, you can add 10uF Capacitor in parallel with C10. If you like you can send your FEZ Domino with the SD card to check it and apply the fix if this was the reason.

2. Problem with SD speed.
    Solution: the speed has been enhanced in the beta firmware, take a look at this post
    http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/1/1858/

Thanks, I’ll take a look at the beta. As for the posts I tried to add to the latest one I found that seemed to be referencing the latest firmware. It might be nice if the forums had tags/keywords that would allow us to easily identify what version of each we had questions on.

Speed isn’t really a problem unless I try and server out some web pages with graphics from SD or flash. Other than that I’m back to smiles with my FEZ.

The beta i sonly available to experienced users. Not to worry, it will be publicly released very soon.

I’m experienced, just not with the FEZ yet. I’ve only had it for 2 days! I’ve been doing embedded hardware development @ work for nearly 20 years.

What I mean is that the link to the beta is hidden till you have achieved some rank on this website.

The beta only enhanced the file system performance but we are not adding couple more features before it is released so stay tuned.

I figured as much. If we keep posting back and forth, I should have exp very soon!

lol, yes that is true but I hope you post questions that you benefit from.

You can also use www.fezzer.com to gain points