Main Site Documentation

Different crystal on USBizi and PLL configuration

We are working on a project based on the USBizi chip and are using a Panda II as the prototyping platform.

Now that we are designing the custom board, it would be very convenient if we can place a 16MHz crystal we have used in other products. Since timings are very important in this project, I want to have it working at the original 72Mhz.

My concern is if there is time-critical stuff that will prevent the CLR from starting if the processor oscillator is off for a while.

So, my question is, will I be able to get to the stage of reconfiguring the PLL at the begginning of my .NET code and obtain the CPU rate of 72MHz?

I know I can get to the required registers from .NET (or even, if it proved more practical, from RLP, since the firmware already does some tasks at that level).

Thanks.

NETMF internally uses a static value for clock at compile time. Using different crystal requires a complete rebuild of the firmware. I suggest you stick with the default crystal.

Hmmm. Yeah, now that I think of it, even the bootloader could have problems if the USB block is working at an off-frequency at the beginning.

Well, it was worth clarifying. Thanks, anyway.