Diff/Merge tool

Maybe this belongs in Off-Topic, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good tool for comparing a directory tree, and allowing me to copy only the “delta” (changed) files.

I’m working on a pretty substantial edit of the NETMF source tree (including more than just adding solutions/targets), and when I’m done, I’d like to be able to package up all my changes to a ZIP file that I can distribute (so people don’t need need to download the entire PK). The ZIP folder would then be extracted on top of a porting kit installation.

I was about to write a little script to do it, but I’m sure there’s got to be a useful utility out there to do this?

WinMerge is my favorite!

1 Like

I like DiffMerge.

http://www.sourcegear.com/diffmerge/

1 Like

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

Haha, thanks guys – I’ll check them out.

It is really a matter of what you have started using first and if it did what you needed. I haven’t seen DiffMerge, but I will try it too and if does work better or more convenient to use I will switch.

I like DiffMerge, too.

We use it with TFS 2010. You can also use it with Subversion.

Use RoboCopy. It’s free, command line and can be turned into a batch file that can be scheduled to copy stuff on a regular basis. My favorite, and gives me all the control I need.

I am using SyncBackPro : SyncBackPro backup software for Windows
Perfect GUI (for me) and command line options, destinations : ZIP, FTP, CD, disk, drive
and the possibility to test your settings before you ruin your directory :slight_smile:

But I have the comercial version…

If would be nice if the PK were in Git/CodePlex and you could just fork it… Then we’d be able to see what you changed. :frowning: