Developing Windpows app on Rasberry Pi - Gotcha

The instructions for setting up the pi are straghtforward but one gotcha is this hidden away in the hello world sample…

1 Like

@ Peter Kenyon -

The only other gotcha I ran into was that you couldn’t connect via powershell if your wireless connection was “public”…I had to change it to private…and it wasn’t intuitive how to do that.

yes this all reminds me of the very early SPOT days… things can only get better

yes this all reminds me of the very early SPOT days… things can only get better

If you’ve had to do headless server work, or remote deploy to ARM devices, this is all old-hat. When looking for help for obscure issues, you can often find it in forums related to those topics.

This uses standard Windows / VS remote deployment and debugging. Nothing special, actually. Yes, it does need to be on a network with discovery enabled. When speaking at sessions, I always bring my own router and connect everything to it.

Also, no WiFi or Bluetooth for now. Don’t assume current WiFi dongles will work, and don’t purchase any on that assumption. Wait until we release more details there.

The final default app is much nicer than the minwin one we’ve had to work from for the past several months. Cobbler’s kids and all that. :slight_smile:

Finally, the Pi is picky about power. I’ve had good luck using mobile phone battery packs (the USB charger type) to make the Pi mobile.

Pete

3 Likes