CP7 display replacement

Will work without problems.

This is interesting. What is a way to connect such 24 bit displays to a gadgeteer board? And what is the Simon’s driver is?

Pretty easy, actually. You just need to wire 16 color wires, and a few control signals (hsync, vsync, clk). Gadgeteer has sockets R, G, and B for that. The hardest part is to make backlight LED driver.

“My” driver (available on Codeshare) just handles display’s touch screen controller via I2C bus.

1 Like

The NHD-7.0 displays with capacitive touch work perfectly on the G120 and G400. I used the 5" board I designed to test this. Needs a new board as the connectors are in a different position but it does work for testing.

Wire the 5 or 6 bits for each of the R,G and B from the processor to the LCD RGB upper bits and tie the lower bits on the LCD to ground. You won’t notice the colour errors :slight_smile:

You then need to configure the timing for the LCD using either programmed register settings or better to do this from FEZ Config. Watch the polarity settings. I found that the DE state needed changing for the 7" compared to the 5". Some also need this fixed, some need it active.

For the I2C touch, use the driver from Simon. It works great.

1 Like

Any news?

@ kiwi_stu - none to report, we found a couple of possible replacements, we are still testing and working out the business side of the transition.

1 Like

Any update on a replacement display or should I source a replacement myself by sourcing a Newhaven display combined with this https://www.turnkeyassembly.com/project/21 and Simon’s touch code?

@ Guerillah - that is probably the better option now

I really need to come up with a number of new CP7 displays or compatible alternatives.
Does someone know of compatible alternatives?
Maybe someone has made his own cp7-replacing display and is willing to share his effort?

TIA Jos

I’m sure @ Dave McLaughlin will come along and tell us about how his Newhaven display board could work with a 7" display…

Hi Brett, It sure does. Just different timing settings which I will post later.

The connector arrangement is different but I have tested it with the 5" LCD board.

I’ll rework the board this weekend to suit the 7" LCD layout as I just got 2 samples to play with this week (after I got stung by customs again)

How would you like to secure the board into a panel? With the 5" I extended the ends of the PCB to put holes on a 5mm grid. The 7" would be much larger and really could do with mid mounting holes too. I’ll post some images from the PCB CAD later when the initial design is done.

With the panels I get made, they install studs into the panel as press fit so there is no visible screws from the front. These need 7.1mm diameter to do this with the M3 studs so needs to be kept about 3mm away from any panel cutouts. I’ll post an image of the panel at the same time.

1 Like