Could anyone imagine a way to do LDAP Authentication from a micro framework device?

Could anyone imagine a way to do LDAP Authentication from a micro framework device?

The DirectoryServices stuff isn’t available, so I’d start with RFC 4510: RFC 4510: Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP): Technical Specification Road Map

I can imagine digging through all this, and implement it, but it isn’t pleasant at all :frowning:

What is the use case?

The use case would be a netmf device that can take a username/pass (maybe through a touch screen input) and validate with an LDAP directory. So the device itself would not work without it.

One solution would be to have the device post the basic login info to an intermediate web service and then have that service do the LDAP Authentication but that’s not an option for what I need.

Reading the RFC…

I don’t see any reason why LDAP couldn’t be implemented on NETMF, but man, it would be unpleasant. It’s the sort of thing that would take one a long time to do, and could be sold for real money.

It would be a lot easier to stand up a web service on a PC/server that handles the LDAP query and then have NETMF use the web service as a proxy.

2 Likes

@ ianlee74 he said that wasn’t an option.

There may be a C/C++ LDAP library out there that you could use via RLP, but there is no native sockets implementation, unless you could tie into the lwip used by Cerberus/Hydra. It’s a long shot.

::shame:: I missed that…