ChipworkX on a custom board w/graphical LCD display

I am looking to write a driver for an LCD Display on a custom board using the ChipwrkX module. I am looking to use GPIO. The LCD Display is the NHD-22240128BZ-NSW-BTW (Graphic Liquid Crystal Display Module). Any help or tips for doing this would be greatly appreciated…

Welcome to the forum!

I have tried to google it, but didn’t get anything back. Do you have a link for that display?

Yes, here is the link: http://www.newhavendisplay.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_105&products_id=567

The company is NewHaven Display

Also, here is a link to the specs: http://www.newhavendisplay.com/index.php?main_page=redirect&action=url&goto=www.newhavendisplay.com%2Fspecs%2FNHD-240128BZ-NSW-BTW.pdf

Any reason you are using this display vs. full color displays usually used with ChipworkX?

You will get better performance from color displays since th system is designed for them.

If you are just developing a driver using ChipworkX, than we have several examples on Fezzer. If you are planning to use it with CWX, you still can, but as Gus said nothing is better than use what you already have for granted.

Believe me, I wish we were at this point. Perhaps in a future version…
Unfortunately, I didn’t have much input into the current hardware design decision.

So, essentially I am looking at non-native support using GPIO correct? I really only need to use the basic (ROM) character-set display because, it is an industrial application where having pretty graphics are not as important as a robust and responsive interface.

I will definitely check out fezzer for examples and I really appreciate your quick responses. Thanks Guys!

You can still use bitmap objects to generate images/fonts then send that to your display. The book explains how that can be done :slight_smile: (man, that book got everything!)

See here microframeworkprojects.com under section “Non-native support”

I looked at the non-native example before. My question is… can I even use SPI (as in the example). Here is the pin-out list:

H/W Name ChipworkX Usage LCD Mapping
PB3 GPIO35 LCD_/CS
PB7 GPIO39 LCD_/RST
PB5 GPIO37 LCD_68/80
PB21 GPIO53 LCD_A0
PB26 GPIO58 LCD_DB0
PB28 GPIO60 LCD_DB1
PB8 GPIO40 LCD_DB2
PB10 GPIO42 LCD_DB3
PB12 GPIO44 LCD_DB4
PB17 GPIO49 LCD_DB5
PB19 GPIO51 LCD_DB6
PB1 GPIO33 LCD_DB7
PB24 GPIO56 LCD_E
PB23 GPIO55 LCD_R/W

No, this is a parallel display so you instead of SPI, you need to use parallel interface.

Here is an example is a parallel display being used
http://www.fezzer.com/project/60/24-tft-lcd-screen-module/

Note: parallel interface is slow but this shouldn’t stop you from making sure all is working. After it is working, you can write parallel drivers in native code (RLP) or you can wait for the new parallel support coming from GHI in couple weeks. We are adding it to speed us the use of parallel displays

Thank you!

Again, very timely and helpful…

Hi Gus,

I was wondering if you had a recommendation for and LCD display that has native support with ChipworkX?

We don’t want to use a touch screen because the product will be outdoors and exposed to extreme weather conditions.

Thanks,
Glenn

The native support is for TFT displays with TFT digital interface, just like the ones you see on this website. These are the ones we recommend but you need to check for the temperature range.

There is far more rugged displays but they are just too expensive for most applications! For earlier discussion, you seem to be looking for something simple and not color so that will make it easier to find one…but it will probably not be natively supported as ti won’t have TFT interface.

Not sure I answered your questions but I tried to help at least :slight_smile:

Yes you did… Thanks again!