Cerberus + Ethernet + LedStrip

Hello everyone,

OK, I got a weird problem and I’m surely missing something. Maybe I’m still high from my trip at Amsterdam.

Here my setup:

• The latest SDK
  • A cerberus with latest firmware
  • A ENC28 module on the pin 6
  • An extender on pin 5 with the LPD8806 led strip.

My program get some information from the WebServer, and send what to switch on/off to the led strip.

I tested, the web server works good.

But the led strip is totally out of control.

First, when I initialize it, I switch off the led. And it’s always all white and always switch on.

I checked with 4 differents code source, all with different implementation. All the same.

So, I tried my code deleting all the ethernet part, and removing the ENC28 module.
And it works. Almost. After almost one second I got the 4 first led in white.

So, I see 2 problems :

• Why the ethernet module disturb the led strip writes ? I remember Gus talking about a bad design with pin 5 and 6, but I’m not sure it’s related.

• Why after a little time, I got the first leds switch on ? I checked my code, I never write something. Do I need to always writes a array of zero values ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You need to add chip select to your led strip. Simple and gate will do, like we have on feztive.

I’m not sure to understand.
I’m using the SPI from Gadgeteer.Interfaces namespace

Do you mean the first boolean value in the SPI.configuration constructor ?

This was what Gus means - use a “AND Gate” IC to create a CS pin

Erf, ok, now you totally lost me… Why do I need an AND Gate ?

The LedStrip I have is the one from AdaFruit, and in all the tutorials I read, I never saw talk about adding IC.

Even with the DaveDurant code.
What I’ve missed ?

Those led strips don’t have a chip select pin so you cannot share them on a spi bus, they need exclusive access.

if you want to plug in other devices on the same spi bus like the ethernet you need to add a chip select circuit to the led strip. You do this by adding the and gate to mimic a chip select.

(not a smart a$$ question, a genuine inquiry)
What if you don’t plug in other SPI devices, is the And gate still needed?

The answer is in the text you quoted - if you want to SHARE access to the SPI bus, you need a CS. So if you don’t want to SHARE access, you don’t need a CS.

Gotcha … I’ve never played with SPI or the like, so I am in sponge mode :wink:

@ Justin - Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ok, now I understand. So I learnt something very interesting.

So for what I understand (sorry if it’s a recurring topic), socket 5 and 6 share the same SPI, and the led strip is receiving signals from the enc28 module, am I right ?

OK I got some reading with Google, now it’s more clear.

Does a “single input and gate” enough for me ? (the model 741G08 said wikipedia)

I’m looking the one @ Justin gave but I don’t find it in shop where I live… I thought I could get one this WE… snif…

I thought a 741G08 is a single AND gate with two inputs?? An AND gate technically has to have two inputs.

If you want it this weekend, what can you get ? What shops do you have access to? Remember that a logic gate like this just has a truth table based on it’s inputs, so you can find ways to achieve the same thing if you want… NAND gates are awesome for doing this. NAND logic - Wikipedia shows how to generate different equivalent circuits with NAND.

@ Brett - Hi, thanks, but I need to go to a shop, because at home, actually, I have nothing, not even a resistor…

Anyway, I found a shop nearby, I’ll go for a CMOS4082 if I’ve understood well.

Thanks everyone. I think it’s really time to get out all my school books…

@ Exasperant - what shop are you going to, and if they have a website we can point something out…

don’t forget to get some 0 1uf caps as well.

you wont want the one from my schematic as its not prototype friendly, read small…

@ Justin - I’ll buy this http://www.selectronic.fr/c/composants-electroniques/composants-actifs/circuits-logiques-peripheriques/circuit-cmos-4xxx/circuit-logique-cmos-4081.html
I choose reading this wikipedia entry : List of 4000-series integrated circuits - Wikipedia

(Lucky I just verified the datasheet, I was buying the 4082 which is not good)

I note for the capacity, so 0.1µF is enough ?

UPDATE:
(I’m trying to understand the schematic of the feztive module)

The 0.1uf is a decoupling cap you place next to the and gate across vcc and gnd.

look forward to hearing and seeing your progress.

Just to be sure, to the input gate, you go with the pin6 of the extender (CS) and pin 7 (mosi) or pin6 and pin 9 (clk) ?