CellularRadio dies after few days

It’s a little bit difficult because the code is part of a “big” project (with 2 thousand lines of code) so I must extract only the code about cellular radio module.
I give you the code in the next few days (as soon as I come home).

Ok then. Writing a simple test to isolate problems would be needed for further work.

Here we are (earlier than expected)!
At this link you can download the VB.NET Gadgeteer project where I extracted the code about Cellular Radio module: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00585931568404764848

As you can check in the project, I’m still using 4.2 NETMF (because I’m still using 16x Relay module, Temp&Humidity module) and FEZ Cobra 2 Net + FEZ Cobra Extender.

I’d like to talk about the code I wrote (pro and cons) to understand where is the issue!

Let me know something

I am still thinking that a VERY simple test to replicate the problem. I am not a vb guy.

I’m currently working on a project using the CellularRadio module. I noticed a couple of shortcomings with the standard driver so have taken the source from BitBucket and incorporated that into my project so I can modify it easily.

On a few occasions I have had Uncaught Exception errors thrown during the parsing of the CellularRadio response’s. I haven’t dug any deeper at the moment as I’ve been concentrating on my database functions but could these be the source of the problem?

Thanks for reply Sprigo.
Yes, maybe!
I don’t noticed uncaught exceptions simply because I’m testing the project without a debugger attached.

Which shortcomings did you found?

@ njbuch - Sorry, I didn’t understand. Do you suggest to simplify the project to isolate the issue?

@ BigFoot - indeed. As few lines as possible to replicate the problem.

I started off with the 4.2 source but found that the signal strength ‘Strong’ range covers too wide a range for my liking. I now pick up an actual signal strength and use this with the LED Strip module to indicate signal strength. I also wanted to pick up incoming calls so added “AT+CLIP=1” to the initialization etc.

I then moved to the 4.3 source due to the uncaught exceptions and the belief that 4.3 should be more stable. This highlighted a couple of problems with receiving SMS which required a couple of small modifications etc. I think the 4.3 source is more stable than the 4.2 as I don’t seem to get anywhere near as many exceptions as before.

I’ve put it on my list of things to do but will dig a bit deeper the next time it happens.

I’ve an off-topic question: the Cellular Radio’s project uses a FEZ Cobra 2 NET mainboard.
Is there possibility to use FEZ Cobra 2 NET on 4.3 ??

EDIT - Idiot question. I think that reply is YES.
See this link: https://bitbucket.org/ghi_elect/gadgeteer/src/58ba2e47a2c51c34c3a3846fff4325ef6e6816c4/Mainboards/GHIElectronics/FEZCobraIINet/?at=master

@ BigFoot - Yes, you can use 4.3 with Cobra II boards

1 Like

As far as I remember, you can’t keep a gsm communication for ever. There’s a timeout on the base station due to a kind of rolling code for the timeslot…

May be this is related