Cellular module firmware update - HOW TO?

@ njbuch - Anyway if you have an XP box and a few minutes to waste, I can explain how to try to recover the fake chip.

2 Likes

Or you can write your own programmer for the chip.

CRAZY SHIT!

Second attempt: SUCCESS

I booted my Ubuntu machine, realized my chip was nuked by FTDI, and took it back by rewriting the ROM. Downloaded an old FTDI driver, and went into flight mode with the pc.

Got a connection to the module, and could download the new firmware to the module. No problems.

Tested that MMS functionality is available, and confirmed. Lets see what happens now with the cool new featuresā€¦ :slight_smile:

Have to strongly recommend buying original cables!

1 Like

Awesome! Glad you manage to update it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I forgot to say thank you to everybody!

I just took a brief stroll through the thread and I really appreciate the hints from you all @ JSimoes, @ dobova, @ Architect, @ Jaap. @ Dave McLaughlin - thank you all.

Starting with MMS and already received my first image from camera. RocknRoll. :dance:

1 Like

@ njbuch - Please, TX and RX are straight or reversed to the cell board ?

Goes direct, the white in my cable was TX which went directly into the TX on the module.

Good luck!

Mhhh ā€¦
I tried with one board ā€¦ After fw download it shows ā€œError: baudrate changeā€

You should try again with 115200, I read several places that some people have problems at the high rate.

@ njbuch -
::slight_smile: ehm ā€¦ shame on me ā€¦ I had reversed TX and RX ā€¦

But is not clear what firmware to flash ā€¦ I see a .CLA (your link) so this is normal flash. But I see other firmware are more than one files (need FOTA.???..).

I am not sure about the FOTA option, I just flashed one single .cla file ā€¦

@ njbuch - Thanks, Iā€™ve flashed without problem the .CLA firmware file and SIM900 seem s to work.

Hi There,

After trying various days to connect to an Azure Cloud Services with a Web Service using CellularRadio I couldnĀ“t because itĀ“s not clear to me (after getting IP Address on my Cell) how to make the calls to the web service.

Here is the code:

void cellularRadio_ModuleInitialized(CellularRadio sender)
{
new Thread(() =>
{
Thread.Sleep(10000);
this.cellularRadio.UseThisNetworkInterface(ā€œinternet.movistar.com.coā€, ā€œmovistarā€, ā€œmovistarā€, GHI.Networking.PPPSerialModem.AuthenticationType.Pap);

while (this.cellularRadio.NetworkInterface.IPAddress == "0.0.0.0")
            {
                Debug.Print("Waiting on DHCP");
                Thread.Sleep(250);
            }
            Debug.Print(cellularRadio.NetworkInterface.IPAddress);

//Thread.Sleep(40000);

//string hostRunningWCFService = "ecobox.cloudapp.net";
            //IService1ClientProxy proxy = new IService1ClientProxy(
            //    new WS2007HttpBinding(),
            //    new ProtocolVersion11());
            //proxy.EndpointAddress = "http://" + hostRunningWCFService + "/Service1";

//var data = proxy.GetData(
            //    new GetData()
            //    {
            //        value = 12345
            //    });

//Debug.Print(data.GetDataResult);

}).Start();
    }

Can somebody help me with this?. Is this the correct way of doing this?

Thanks a lot.

Hi andre,

Sorry for doing that, but I tryed to create a new one but couldnĀ“t find the option here. Could you tell me where can I do that?.

Thanks.

@ r.ricardog
To create a new topic you must click on the link ā€œCreate a new topicā€ in the ā€œroomā€ .NET Gadgeteer .

@ JSimoes - I am having trouble updating my SIM900a gsm module. I followed the Application note for upgrading firmware provided by SIMCOM but i keep getting the same error no matter what I do. Could you please help me?

@ lekhatamvada - Iā€™m not recognizing the software that you have in the screenshotā€¦ Sure you are using the right tool? Iā€™ve added a link to the correct tool on one of the initial posts in this thread. Please use that one instead.

@ lekhatamvada - The tool youā€™re using is right, I used the same and, if Iā€™m not wrong, also @ njbuch used the same one.
I suggest to read the notes I wrote after I updated the firmware successfully: https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=17446&page=2#msg174362

Also, the last log message says ā€œcheck target settingsā€. You set COM baudrate at 460800, I didnā€™t used that. As you can read in my notes linked above, I set COM baudrate at 115200.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

@ lekhatamvada - I can confirm what BigFoot is saying :slight_smile:

Hate to dig up the dead, but does this look like a successful update? Iā€™m playing around with the cell module in hope of posting some demos and wanted the latest firmware version. If this is good, do I have to do anything now to reset or otherwise start using the device?

Thanks