C/C++ IDE with G400S

I am interested in hearing about your experiences with this project.

According to the information I have on the G400S that Iā€™ve used before, the JTAG Lines are connected to the SOM pins.

TDI 92
TDO 104
TMS 94
TCK 85
NRST 105

I guess what you mean is that you didnā€™t expose them on your carrier board?

You are correct. Our ā€œcarrier boardā€ is actually a pretty complex motherboard with slots for 6 daughter cards that interface to a variety of peripherals so we really donā€™t want to have to re-spin it just to add a JTAG connector.

After a 6 month hiatus, this task has raised its ugly head again. I know a little more about what Iā€™m trying to do and enough has changed at GHI that Iā€™d like to ask the question again with a slightly different take, so here goes:

Is there a way to use any of the current GHI products without TinyCLR (ā€œbare metalā€) to do native C/C++ development (including download and debug) using Visual GDB or a similar C/C++ IDE? If I have to use a hardware debug module and kluge a way to access the JTAG pins, thatā€™s possible.

And the related question:

Is there a way to use any of my older G400 boards (Raptor, G400S, etc.) without .NETMicro (ā€œbare metalā€) to do native C/C++ development (including download and debug) using Visual GDB or a similar C/C++ IDE? If I have to use a hardware debug module and kluge a way to access the JTAG pins, thatā€™s possible.

Hello, did you try out if the pins pointed out by @Dave_McLaughlin are working?

Not yet. The goal is to develop/download/debug a bare metal C/C++ app using VisualGDB and a G400S board. The biggest unknown in my little mind right now is how do I connect VisualGDB to the target board? I think I might need just a JTAG module. If thatā€™s correct, which one? This seems to be what Atmel/Microchip is recommending

https://www.microchip.com/DevelopmentTools/ProductDetails/PartNO/DV164232#additional-summary

If thatā€™s the correct module (or someone has a better suggestion) then I can figure out how to connect it to the JTAG pins on the 400S. @Dave_McLaughlin did tell me what pins. I would like to confirm with GHI that those are the pins since the 400S data sheet doesnā€™t seem to have that same information.

Thanks for all the help, it is getting me closer to the right answer.

Just out of curiousity; Segger J-Link EDU connects using the recommended pins.

@RoSchmi - This is a huge help. I hope you donā€™t mind a bunch more, hopefully easy, questions.

Are you telling me that you connected a Segger J-Link EDU to the G400S pins @Dave_McLaughlin recommended and youā€™re up and running for native C/C++ develoment on a G400S?

Is the SEGGER J-Link GDB Server window that you are showing part of some IDE? If so which one?

Given that VisualGDB supports various Segger JTAG modules, is there some reasonable probability I can buy a Segger J-Link EDU (or similar Segger product) and be up and developing native C/C++ apps on the G400S?

Will I need to install the SAM-BA software on the G400S?

Many, many thanks.

I saw your post and was interested if this would work.
So I connected the JTAG pins posted by Dave to my Segger J-Link EDU. It could read from the Raptor using the JLinkGDBServer. This is only a tool, not part of an IDE as far as I know.
Iā€™m not up and running C development on the Raptor. Perhaps I would if you would show a way. I yet donā€™t know nothing about developing in C/C++ for the G400. I hope that perhaps I will learn something from you. Seems to be interesting.
Kind regards

@RoSchmi - Thatā€™s great. Thanks again for all your help.

Gene, Iā€™ve not used the J-Link with the G400 but I have used it with the ESP32 and Visual GDB and it works well albeit a little slowly on the ESP32.

The EDU version is not permitted to be used for commercial projects but there are other JTAG debuggers that should work with Visual GDB. A look through the configuration files should point you to something that works.