Bridge-uino interested?

I once had a college who wrote a PS-Pad Replace Expression to translate from one Basic dialect to another (SAX-Basic to VB 6) :wink:

About the Arduino compatibe libs:
These compatibility layer might get the prefered way to use Gadgeteer. This is usually not what somebody would want. right?

It’s not necessary to own one to see the advantages and disadvantages of the platform. Not until one admits that improvement is possible can improvements be made.

Creating Arduino libraries for existing Gadgeteer modules (and the associated hardware interfaces necessary to use them, like the shield with Gadgeteer sockets) I think is the fast way to expanding the success of the Gadgeteer hardware platform.

@ everyone - The idea is we can support arduino users by opening a door that welcomes them to talk about it freely, and even provide some helping hand on using arduino! So what is in it for this community and GHI? We will have new friends in this community and bring more creative makers. Sure we can also try to sell them few GHI and community modules to use on their arduinos, won’t be much but more is always good :slight_smile: Another good thing here is to embrace the gadgeteer technology.

Step one would be to make a shield for arduino. If you are interested in this venture and have an arduino and few gadgeteer modules, the shield is yours for free!

We should have the shield in about 2 weeks.

Does a Chipkit count ?. I have that.

@ Rajesh - you will have to wire the shield.

I have many gadgeteer modules and quite a few arduinos. I should have time and I have an interest in these coming org ether. Let me know how to help.

The ChipKit Max32 has the Arduino Mega format

Ahh microchip. Long time lol. Yeah why not.

As I look across my office I can spot five arduinos but only one of them has the “arduino form factor”. I would be really interested to know what percentage of arduino users actually use the larger boards on a regular basis. I typically only use them when I want a very small, cheap controller that handles one or two simple tasks. For me, the Breakout module connected to another module would be more ideal than a shield. However, that could get expensive. What would be really cool would be a Breakout module that has a male plug mounted directly to it that could be plugged directly into a module w/o the expensive flat cable.

I’m really interested in seeing this succeed but I admit that I am very skeptical. What would work? GHI is known for making very powerful boards. No one else really compares when it comes to high power NETMF boards. Regardless of where they start, people end up here when they need more power. Why not provide the same option for Arduino? I’m sure the GHI crew could produce an arduino board that would turn the arduino world upside down. Then once they come here to buy the board they already know how to use and become part of the community then they will naturally migrate over to the even more productive NETMF world as they are exposed to it.

Didn’t want to ruin the party, but since you admitted to being skeptical, I feel it’s alright for me to do so,too! :slight_smile:

I don’t think the two will mix well. I suspect the majority of Arduino fans would not care to move from their Linux platforms come hell or high water. They would go on and on about managed code and slow execution and way too much CPU for their needs, etc. etc. Not to mention an often distrust of Microsoft in general.

It’s my honest-to-God belief that GHI could attract potential future Arduino users by providing a netmf-board which is cheaper than the ‘regular sized’ Arduino board (which are typically $20). Yes, I’m thinking $10(!). Cortex M0 with four sockets would do. That and a few select youtube tutorials would make them pay attention - should certainly get them looking at the present and future offerings of Gadgeteer modules.

Look at the popularity of these projects, for example: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digistump/digispark-the-tiny-arduino-enabled-usb-dev-board, or http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kenburns/tinyduino-the-tiny-arduino-compatible-platform-w-s

A bridge between the two, I can’t see it.

1 Like

I’m unsure if you’re referring to my post or commenting on the topic in general?

There are people that would change from Arduino to Netmf…i’m a perfect example…

In that case +1 :smiley:

My day job apart from being Chief Tea boy is based predominately around C# SQL etc… ie Microsoft technologies.
I started with Arduino solely because of the IMU inside of the autopilot i was looking at using is Arduino based.
At the time NETMF didnt really exist so i struggled along with Arduino/Processing etc.
Then someone mentioned with this new and whizzy Netduino thingie and the rest is history for me.

And here are some of the reasons for me why i wouldn’t go back to Arduino.

[ol]VS - it’s the tool i use daily and a million times better than the Arduino IDE
C# - i just cant get on with processing
Memory
Touch screens
Need more speed - RLP
Like ASP vs PHP people expect commercial solutions in Arduino to be free / cheap [/ol]

I personally don’t care about the extra $$'s for NETMF vs the AVR’s

I didn’t / don’t have issues with shields / modules as i am lucky with my background and can build my own.

I like this community as people will always put their hand up to help.

Couldn’t agree more.
I just don’t like tractors :smiley:

Guys, I never said we are trying to convert arduino users. They will not leave their Linux machine to spend more money on a “Microsoft” related product. Some if these users religiously hate anything comes from Microsoft. Not everyone, some.

What we want to provide is the gadgeteer hardware, the modules, with some drivers in C that they can use with the same arduino and same IDE.

Will they buy modules, maybe not but we are at least showing them gadgeteer is not just for netmf and we are welcoming arduino users with their IDE and mentality, not converting anyone.

Any comments?

I don’t think there is a sensor left without Arduino example on how to use it. So this should be easy.

@ Architect - Yes but I am thinking of gadgeteering this. Basically provide a “core” that maps sockets to IOs. So while they are using arduino IDE, they are still enjoying the gadgeteer flexibility.

Moving a module from one socket to another should’t be more than a number change in code.

That seems contradictory to this…

But, I think I understand where you’re going with this. I’m curious to see what shield approach you come up with. Arduino users will not be satisfied with anything that forces them to lose unused pins to a socket. Count me in for a couple drivers (NOT the IO60P16 :wink: )

I like the idea of a Cortex M0 based Gadgeteer board, damn I would offer to work on the port in a snap, but I do not believe there is a Cortex M0 that has sufficient memory to carry a .NETMF port. I would be happy to be wrong on this.

I would like to see a DL40 with a few gadgeteer sockets, yes I am a fan of the DL40 I know I know… throw stones if you must :slight_smile: