Beginners Guide book is on wiki...60% done

Hello Community, I need help!

In an effort of making the book better for all of us, I am moving it to wiki. This means that all of us can now add chapters to it and enhance it anyway we all like…I am 60% done

I have spent all my day moving most of it and added all “level one headers” (chapters) to the wiki. But I couldn’t complete it.

So, if you have time, please move more text from the original book to the wiki. Do not add new wiki pages (nor new contents yet). I have all chapter heading added in. Note that there are places where I have multiple chapters in one wiki page. Just look at wiki and you will see what I mean.

I have added “0image-” where we need to add image and added “…to be continued” where we need more text.

So will you help please? :slight_smile:

Take a look here

I need to complete this before i can get to fezopen and the porting book the more help I get the sooner I can get to the porting book :wink: … and possibly VB support too :smiley:

I just edited most of them.

The things that need to be done:

-Move Wireless out of topic N - Watchdog

-Move Missing Topics, WPF, DPWS, etc. out off topic O-Thinking Small

sam

Thanks Sam.

Btw, the page Can have multiple chapters. Generate PDF and see

What about translations? French and Portuguese have pdf documents, how it will be moved to the wiki format? I know that WikiMedia have multilanguage support

Gabriel:
There is file in OpenOffice format available.

Look at this link for details:

[url]microframeworkprojects.com

[quote]What about translations? French and Portuguese have pdf documents, how it will be moved to the wiki format? I know that WikiMedia have multilanguage support
[/quote]
The next step is to “kindly” ask the community to move the translation to the wiki.

Plus this will make it easier to translate the book. You only have to copy the page and make the translation. I will write up about this topic soon.

I do not know much about how mediawiki works with languages nor I know if that would work with the pdfbook extension we are using. If you are to help, that would be appreciated.

have you guys tried utilities such as these shown here to convert from DOC format to Wiki?

[url]http://www.consumingexperience.com/2008/03/convert-word-doc-or-webpage-to-wiki.html[/url]

Seems like something like this would make the job a LOT easier.

The book is now 90% done. All text is in and I have split chapters in individual pages, where it made sense to do that.

The images is what we are missing. Sam added some but we need more added in please. Even if you add only one image that would help.

[quote]have you guys tried utilities such as these shown here to convert from DOC format to Wiki?

http://www.consumingexperience.com/2008/03/convert-word-doc-or-webpage-to-wiki.html

Seems like something like this would make the job a LOT easier.[/quote]

Wasn’t aware of such tool and not sure how would this work since you still have to take the output and put in wiki. and how would it know about syntax highlighting.

Anyway, we are near done so maybe in future if needed

Gus:

There is one section missing! 29. Low Power

It’s supposed to be in between O-USB Client and P-Watchdog!

Jus create a header for me and I’ll do the rest.

sam

Here it is Sam. I added the text but we need tags for code

This book will help everyone in the community. I gave you 1000 points :wink:

Also, I noticed that you have been adding a lot of images. Can you please go through the whole book and complete the images please?

The book looks great! Good job!

@ Sam: Thanks for the links, I’ve had seen it before. Even if I’m natively speak French (French Canadian), I prefer using the English documentation for mostly everything, since my development platform is an all-English.

But I’m sure they are some French NetMF enthusiast that may have some issues understanding english.

Gus:

I think we have everything in place now!

And thanks for the points. I’m really appreaciated! :smiley:

sam

Gabriel:

Sure. :wink:
And if you could help with moving/edit the French version to WiKi that will be GREAT too!

sam

@ Sam: I’d love to help on that. It’s will force me to read the book! (My FEZ Domino is backorder at RobotShop, so I’ve got some free time ::slight_smile: )

I don’t see any links to the French wiki, so if someone can point to me how to translate/transpose the wiki in French, it would be appreciated.

We do have a French translation. I tis a matter of someone coping the text to the wiki.

Of course we need someone who understand French so they can see if all is added properly. Maybe you can work with the original person who translated the book.

Anyway, I was waiting till we are 100% done moving the book then we can add instructions on how we can add other languages.

Yes, anyone can copy the French version to the wiki, but the real challenge is to keep all translations up-to-date with the original one. Looking at the current translations, the French version is already a little behind…

I’ll keep watching this post for any update for the wiki. Maybe the original translater (Christophe Gerbier) his willing to do the job too.