Battery Power Module (with charging circuit) for Gadgeteer

This is not from GHI. Check inside MSR Modules.

Hello I already know that this is not a GHI product. I have try to search for it on codeplex or on the gadgeeter website without any success.

Gus: GHI seems also to work on this, and you said that your board is about to be finished, may we have a preview of functionnalites

Here it is on the codeplex:

Status update:

The Li-Ion module is working. All (charger, touch-sensing, dc/dc) seems to work fine. There is still some work to do like the 1Wire protocol implementation and the Fuel Gauge code. Also a modification to the board is necessary… The gadgeteer connector is currently 180 degree rotated :frowning:

If someone know 1Wire code in C or 8051 ASM i appreciate to hear it :slight_smile:

Thanks, Rob

Looks great!

@ Architect … Thanks !! If you want to test it out :slight_smile: I will send you one, once its completely finished.

Sure!

Any more progress on your module?

Can you “only” charge via USB, or will it take a power supply - like a wall wart?

What type of battery is that?

How many cells does it support?

I’m full of questions aren’t I :slight_smile: can’t you tell I can see how something like will benefit one of my projects? (oh no another question)

I finished the 1Wire client code so that a gadgeteer controller can communicate with this power board. for example to instruct the board to shut down, or to ask the status of the battery, change the color of the leds… and many more… This week i am implementing the gauge code.

To do is some code to be able to update (flash) the bios on this board from a gadgeteer controller board, and also to do is writing an .Net MF API

There is only a mini-usb b type connector to charge the battery, but you can use a 5Volt DC adapater. The system supports a single cell 3.7 Volt Li-Ion or LiPo battery.

I will be happy to answer more questions :slight_smile:

Solar panels like http://www.bootstrapsolar.com ? This sounds like an awesome product, I can hardly wait.

You asked for it :smiley:

So is there a voltage upconverter in there (taking the 3.7 and outputting 5)?

Does the output come from the battery always, and the USB is there only charge it?

Is that a custom case you have there?

Does the driver have the ability to show the current draw in mA?

What’s the ETA on the availability and any idea on pricing?

I really like the idea that mainboard can itself down! Is there a facility for a reboot – a power off shutdown and then a timed (a few seconds or so) reboot?

** not sure if it’s an issue with the new forum, but on 2 different computers, I can’t bring up the full sized photos, whereas on my phone I can **

Yes, there are actually 2 up/down converters to convert the battery voltage. One for 3.3V for one for 5 Volt.

Power will be taken from the adapter during charging the battery.

It is a standard case, just made a few holes in it. Using sticker photo paper i printed a front panel (thats the nice part of the touch buttons, its just a piece of copper behind the plastic wall of the case)

The gauge code i wrote about is the code that monitors the current consumption etc. The result will be that you can be warned when the battery runs out of power, or reaches a (user) defined level.

End of next week i will be doing some price calculations.

The power down protocol can be:… Touch the button, an interrupt is send to the gadgeteer controller, the controller asks the power board (over 1Wire) the reason of the interrupt. The power board replies with “Power down request” … The gadgeteer controller is capable to close open files or any other stuff. Gadeteer will now send a command to the power board… shut down… It will also be possible to tell the power board to auto re-startup after x seconds…

The controller on the power board is actually running, but consumes just 1.5 miliAmp.

The fact that the photo’s can’t be pulled up has to do with the new web site… We should request GHI to have a look at it.

Cool.

My reason for asking about the reboot cycle is that I was thinking of in-field updates. We would send new functionality (haven’t quite worked that out) over a network to our devices. The device would then safely stop it’s current activity, and then request a power cycle.

So this would be an automated procedure, not requiring a person to press a button.

Thanks again!

Yes, that could be a useful application.

@ mhectorgato. Josh from GHI has fixed that photo issue :slight_smile:

Thanks - they’re working fine now.

How are you connecting the wire to the (I presume) 18650?

Thanks again for answering my questions.

Very cool setup you got there!

Yes its a protected 18650, in the setup at the photo i have soldered the wires straight to the battery, but this week i received some battery holders for this type of battery.

One last question (for now :)) - your first post about your device said it will handle Li-Ion & Li-Po 3.7v.

So will something like this work with it?

Yes, for this type it is designed, and even the connector at this battery fits the connector on the power board :slight_smile:

I was wrong … I had another question (as I’m learning new things, they prompt more questions).

How mA can this device output?

I’m going to be using several modules simultaneously - GPS, T35, SD and a few others with a Spider. Would this provide enough juice to run these simultaneously?

Thanks