Battary holder and power

You can stick a wire in the 5V female header and then you do not need to solder.

I am sure you can solder it though… be confident my friend :slight_smile:

hehehe

OK … I thought by doing that I wouldn’t be able to plug in a shield. But that’s cool if I can do that.

I will work up my soldering skills first before attempting that.

The FEZ on Fire with the Sharp may be my first foray into this. Once I get some experience under my belt then I’ll do.

I would rather fry a $16 part then my precious Domino.

Thanks again (I keep saying that, but I really do mean it).

Did you try? I think they will both fit in there…will be tight but who cares. Of course, I am not asking you to jump on it if the pin did not go in :slight_smile: Just try to push it in and see if it fits.

Or if the shield is has the long Arduino headers with a female header on top you could stick the power wire in there. Or you could solder onto the header pin of the shield :slight_smile:

Well now that I’m made the decision to move forward, I’ll make these choices once I get the hardware in my hands.

For now I think I’ll just be using the Component Shield from this site.This will give me room for now and all my future endeavors!

Thanks again.

So I finally got my barrel plug from Radio Shack — what’s the polarity of connector?

Is it:
Negative - inside
Positive - outside

Thanks for the help

tip is NEGATIVE, so you have it correct.

Thank you very much

uggh … no luck.

Some strange happenings.

If I have the FEZ DC Motor driver connected, plug in the barrel and briefly just connect the positive with barrel it sparks.

If the FEZ DC Motor driver is not connected, and briefly just connect the positive with barrel nothing. So I tried the negative to see if the Domino would light up, and nothing.

It only sparks if the motor driver is connected.

Here’s the current configuration.

I’m getting tired of running behind it with my laptop :wink:

So I wanted to tap into my batteries to feed the Domino. I just did white to white and black to black.

I verified the polarity with my meter and looks I got it right.

OK, first up let me say SORRY. I’ve just checked with a multimeter my polarity and it appears I was WRONG. TIP is POSITIVE. (I have a commercial power supply and the tip polarity is reverseable through rotating the tip itself, and the tip I am using must be off a different power pack and it’s “displayed” polarity is different to actual - hugely sorry about that!)

I’m not really sure what you mean when you say this:

[quote]If I have the FEZ DC Motor driver connected, plug in the barrel and briefly just connect the positive with barrel it sparks.

If the FEZ DC Motor driver is not connected, and briefly just connect the positive with barrel nothing. So I tried the negative to see if the Domino would light up, and nothing.
[/quote]
in particular, what you mean when you are “connect the positive with barrel”. Are you just connecting the wire from the tip and the barrel to your battery pack leads?

No worries.

Yeah I had the plug in jack and the wires not connected to the battery. As soon as I touched the positive lead it sparked.

When I get home I’ll try em the other way around.

So far so good.

I disconnected the battery from the motor board. I plugged in the connector and connected both wires and my Domino lit up. No sparking!

With the luck I have with hardware, one of the leads in the barrel connector broke off. But there were 2 in the pack, so I’m going wire up the other one.

Thanks for the help!

It will be wonderful to be able to disconnect the laptop - 1) it’s ackward to run after it with the USB attached and 2) when showing others it looses some of the coolness factor having it teathered.