Bambino 200E

Ooooo look what I got today !

Where’s the Fiat logo? :smiley:

1 Like

Arrrgh I hope no Fiat logo !!! Fix It Again Tom !!!

But have Micromint released SDK and Firmware for the Bambino ? I think it has still to come out …

typical Italian engineering, looks good but… :wink:

This is sadly true at least for Fiat cars … I had one of their cars: it was the first and also the last.

heheh aaah the days of Fiat.

Anywhoo the SDK is out tomorrow I believe

Here is a link to the Docs wiki at micro mint. Bambino Documentation - Manuals

[quote]In our NetMF implementation the master M4 code runs managed code in C# and the slave M0 core runs native code in C or C++. It is technically feasible to use the M0 to run managed code in C#, but additional development would be required. At this time we don’t have plans for supporting a CLR in the slave core.

Visual Studio 2012 or 2010 can be used to develop C# applications for the M4 core. The Keil MDK can be used to build the M4 CLR and M0 binaries. In August we will also support GCC Code Red to build the M4 CLR and M0 binaries. There is an example of how to start an M0 binary from a C# application running on the M4.[/quote]

I guess its begging for someone clever to work out a clean way of using the M0

@ andre.m - No project as yet. First steps will be getting the SDK and doing some simple gadgeteer testing, then adding an XBee on that socket for some more fun.

Its a shame they don’t have support for using the M0 core yet with netmf. I would love to say I could build something but i would need a brain transplant first :smiley:
It looks like they may be planning to offload networking stack stuff to the M0 or implementing something like RLP lite to allow M0 usage but we will have to wait and see.

that would be interesting.

they have a user forum here http://www.micromint.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=e8994fe2cd46e009e24d13d79199e771

This is the bit i found interesting

[quote]Both hardware and software on the Micromint Bambino 200 are licensed as open source. This includes the NetMF port.

On our reference NetMF implementation for the LPC4330, the M4 core executes the CLR and your C# code while the M0 core is an I/O coprocessor executing native C/C++ code. The M4 sends commands and retrieves data from the M0 using shared memory mailboxes. Currently the M0 seems the best choice for the TCP/IP and USB stacks so that is a likely default. But we are still iterating with the memory and peripheral assignments to achieve higher utilization rates.

We realize optimal partitioning between cores is inherently application dependent. Currently you can change memory and peripheral assignments between cores at compile time so changes require rebuilding the CLR. Our goal is to gradually implement some reconfiguration capabilities at boot time, but that will not be in the first release.

Developers can also run their own C/C++ code on the M0. For example, you could set it to autonomously log data from ADCs or GPIOs to flash. A C# class is provided for the M4 to turn the M0 on/off and communicate with it via shared memory.[/quote]

No doubt my 200E is sitting in security somewhere while someone figures out if its a good idea to let me play with it or not.

@ HughB - I think we all look forward to seeing the code :slight_smile:

isn’t the point of this device to work as a bridge between c# and c, the apps processor runs the c# code and the bit twiddler guys can write in c, with messaging between them, imho I don’t see the point of c# in both, this might be an entry into areas where developers are afraid to leave the safety of c.
keep up the good stuff hugh

1 Like

OK so the powers that be have released my Bambino 200E and its happily sitting on my desk, nice looking board with lots of goodies on it. Now as soon as MicroMint gets their updated SDK out, it could be time to play (not a lot of time right now as I have other projects I’m working on, but for this I could make an exception).

yeah i got one of each model waiting to check it out

So, has anyone actually tried this interesting piece of hardware?

The binaries were finally released but I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet. I think
it’s still a little ways off for a fully usable main board.

1 Like

Binaries are available here http://www.micromint.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=232&start=30 so I’m keen to start playing with it, but I have this problem with this other project right at the moment as apparently some dark suits are expecting me to work on a project for them, bastards have no sense of play. Mind you I was doing the happy dance last night when my 3 dimensional threading algorithm started running correctly, I love it when a plan starts coming together, especially when it involves low level system code. Now to add a couple more levels of threading and see when the brain pops.

2 Likes

I’ve had the 200 since mid June, had to wait till late August for netMF binaries. Still wont respond to connection attempts from VS…

Anyone else banging their heads on their keyboards?

Yeah me too :slight_smile: looks like there will be a fix today though. The board has so much potential, its just a shame that they are so far behind with releasing the software. Once its ready it will be pretty impressive…

Keep the faith guys!

Its obviously easier to crank out some cool boards, than to deliver streamlined and working software to support it.

1 Like