Azure IoT Hub - A new Azure Service, Discovered today in the preview portal

You can read more about the new service, and what it exactly offers here on GitHub:

[url]https://github.com/Azure/azure-iot-sdks[/url]

You will find the SDK on the same page.

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like within the preview-portal. Have fun!

3 Likes

Oh wow, I read that as Azure Iot Sucks. I actually don’t like the cloud.

@ Mr. John Smith - You are not alone. A lot of people (and companies) don’t like the cloud. What is your concern? Security or trust? Or both? Or something else?

@ andre.m - There is a difference between the Clouds and the Internet. What did you train as?

As a fellow who used to burn an awful lot of time, money, and effort on co-location, I don’t think I would want to go back to the pre-cloud ways of doing things. Yeah, the nickel-and-dime nature of the ala-carte pricing adds up quickly, and large-scale outages keep happening, and the security risk inherent in a loss of ‘genetic diversity’ is a pain, not to mention the trust issues with handing over a lot of control to someone else, but overall I do get a LOT more done at higher quality and lower maintenance cost using the various elements offered by cloud component providers.

These days, disliking the cloud is a bit like disliking oxygen, but it’s not so hard to dislike individual oxidation reactions (or the various concessions to, and side effects of, using cloud services).

2 Likes

My #1 reason for disliking the clouds is the fact that it gets in the way of ETLs used in business intelligence. In the old days, I could target the database backups and extract the data nightly without affecting the operational environment. Or I could install triggers or replication and get the data real time. But with web services I have to poll (unless someone can speak different). It takes up bandwidth and compute time which I get charged for (not me personally but you know), and it’s slow due to the business internet connection speed.

EDIT: Ok not ranting on this topic.

@ Mr. John Smith - ETL operations haven’t been a big part of my cloud experience so far, but some of my recent development efforts are pushing me there. I don’t think it will be such a pain for me because all of the data starts in cloud storage and all of the analytics and viz are to be done using cloud-based tools, but as I say, this is new territory for me so we’ll see how it works out.

@ andre.m - ok, have to admit that I totally don’t get that one… I might actually agree with you, I just don’t know what you’re trying to say.

@ andre.m - That would imply you don’t like the parts of the internet that are run by nuclear power plants. By your logic, you don’t like planet earth because there are people on it who annoy you.

I am sorry but I have to agree with this portion… :whistle:

1 Like

I’ve spent most of this year building a data warehouse and ETL processes for it for our company and everything exists within Azure. I’m not sure I really understand your argument. Everything you can do on-premise can still be done. Unless, of course, you’re referring to extracting data from a 3rd party service where the only extract they are providing is an API. In that case, is impact to the operational environment really your problem? If you have direct access to the databases then all of the old ETL methods should still work. You will probably have to do it inside a VM, though. My main complaint regarding ETL at this point is the lack of an Azure service to replace SSIS. Azure Data Factory seems to be the tool that will one day do that but it still has a long way to go before that’s possible and easy.

1 Like

Or like saying, “I hate GHI because Gary is a part of it.” We have to take the good with the bad to make progress sometimes :smiley:

1 Like

@ ianlee74 - That’s it exactly. If everything is in one cloud it’s less of a pain, but there are many clouds each with their own API et al. Try getting your saleforce data into you accounting package when they aren’t from the same provider.

@ AWSOMEDEVSIGNER - My concerns are first and foremost the reliability 3rd teir internet providers through whom I must send and receive my data. the internet needs to be a public utility such as water, gas, power and telephone. Then there is security. Can I really trust these providers? As a public company they have a federal obligation to put their investors first and customers second.

I can see that. However, if you’re a high-volume client I suspect you can work out a process where they drop regular flat files that could reduce your transaction costs if they really are that high.

1 Like

@ ianlee74 - Yea if I’m high volume. But if I’m a small supermarket chain, I’m outta luck.

I’m curious what level of charges you are seeing for bandwidth. At my current and previous job I have yet to see any charges worth even considering in our estimates. You do realize that all inbound bandwidth on Azure is free, right? So, that should cover everything you’re describing. Only the outbound bandwidth incurs (very small) charges. If you’re not on Azure you might want to reconsider your host.

@ Mr. John Smith -

There have been a lot of good points made in this discussion so far and I want to add my 5 cents to it, especially to your concerns:

Trust is a very important thing - especially for cloud-providers and all other companies offering hosted services targeting B2B, B2C or in any other possible combination. Just imagine one case, one scenario where any of those cloud-providers out there would have been accused in breaching the privacy in terms of using their customers data for their own commercial advantages? Or even worse, selling the knowledge of their customers or their customers data to others? Or delivering an overall infrastructure that makes it easy for hackers to invade your services and to steal your data? That would be definitely the end of this cloud-provider. No one would ever trust such a company again with their data.

And if something like that happens, what would their investors say? They have no other chance than to keep their customers data safe and to do anything to keep it that way. Multiple levels of trust, access levels to customer data and other clever mechanisms have been established by those providers to protect your data even from within their own companies. Ordinary support personal for example, the guys who work on the fast-lane are just there to help you with the more common problems with pre-defined solutions. Many more models and “service-levels” are established as well to help to protect your intellectual property and the data you need for your every-day business.

Security is always a big concern and it should be. People or companies not thinking about security or having any concerns about it and not questioning security at all (many of them are out there), just deserve to be attacked, especially when it comes to companies. Often investments into security are lacking not only funding, but knowledge and this includes well trained staff as well.

Cloud providers - like Microsoft, have the staff and the resources to give you the most advanced protection for your data and your services that is available on the market today and tomorrow. Even their data-centers are like secured like military installations. This is the kind of security that most companies in the world cannot offer, only a few world-wide.

Regarding the other providers, like ISP’s: Currently we have to rely on what we get. People are becoming more and more aware of security, especially because of the IoT boom. Many people are concerned and much better and faster informed than ever before (information never travelled as fast as it does today). Even these kind of companies have to put a lot of thinking into trust and security.

If you are interested, here is a bit more information about Azure Security and Compliance:

Azure Trust Center: Security: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/trust-center/security/
Microsoft Azure Trust Center: Compliance https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/trust-center/compliance/

@ AWSOMEDEVSIGNER - One of the less likely but also possible (murphy’s law possible). Is that someone will attack one company’s data physically which would result in all the companies next to them getting hurt/wiped out. Depending on what someone is willing to do to get at/destroy a company’s data. (E.g. let’s say China really wants to wipe out company X and sends spies to do espionage.) It’s unlikely, it’s far fetched, but cloud storage just seems like too many important eggs in one basket.

Microsoft’s Cloud offerings and technologies are pretty well hardened; I’m not worried about crackers. It’s everybody else. Now if the clouds move around the place like real clouds, where just about no one knows which datacenter the data is in at any given day, then perhaps. I once saw a video about facebook’s servers. They were able to tell the presenter exactly which disk in the entire server room his data was stored on, and he went there and was able to point to the disk. Now what if he’d taken a shotgun to that disk?

@ Mr. John Smith - Pretty frightening scenario. And the “moving clouds” is a very interesting concept. No one could prevent him from doing this, except for other people in the same server-room/farm. It really depends on the motivation and on the criminal-ruthlessness of such people.