ASP dot NET Webhosting

Has anybody used Arvixe for ASP.NET web hosting or using it now?
Considering to try them.

I used Arvixe for hosting my blog (at the time, based on Orchard CMS) for several years. They’re decent for what they do, but I was on a super-cheap plan (around $4/mo, paid two years at a time), and I got exactly what I paid for.

When I had a blog post that became fairly popular (not HN popular, but still a lot of traffic compared to my usual), it took the server down. I ended up moving to Azure because of this, and I’ve been pretty happy with that choice.

So while I wasn’t unhappy with them giving the cost, I would think carefully before using their bargain plans for anything you think might get decent traffic some day.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

I used them too. Sub par for my uses but ok for the basics

1 Like

I use them. They’re inexpensive, I get what I pay for but that’s all I need right now. Responsive when I had an issue.

1 Like

Why not stand up an Azure website. They are free and very easy to manage. If you are using Visual Studio it is a 5 minute process to create a website with a CMS app from their gallery.

4 Likes

I’ve been using them for years. It’s shared hosting, so performance is as you’d expect, but I’ve had no problems, and downtime has been extemely minimal.

1 Like

Azure is only free at the most basic tier. It’s not comparable to what you get from Arvixe.

I am using this for about three years now. Not too expensive, stable enough for email, static websites and simple applications.

To be clear…“Free” tier is free. Trying to avoid confusion with the “Basic” tier (which is what I use) which is essentially VPS, except that you don’t have to manage the underlying OS. In between is Shared, which runs around $10/mo. and provides support for custom domains, which is probably the main reason most folks would not want the Free tier (that and the Free tier has resource limits that you can hit if you have a badly-behaved app, or traffic spike).

The other thing folks gripe about with Azure Web Apps is the expense if you want SSL. Troy Hunt has a couple blog posts that show how to get SSL implemented on a Shared Azure Web App for free:

1 Like

Never use them. But I see they offer great features. I’m currently using asphostportal.com for asp.net hosting. They have knowledgeable asp.net technical support, great pricing, and also great features. You can also consider them

I have ever tried Azure too, but they are too costly. You cant compare Azure with shared hosting provider. If I use Azure, I can pay 4 times more expensive than shared hosting

Respectfully disagree that Azure is too costly, but obviously what is “too costly” will vary from person to person. Some perspective:

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/app-service/ (see D1 - Shared - around $10/mo.)

If you can get shared hosting for $2.50 a month, more power to you. As I noted previously, I used Arvixe, and was paying around $4/mo, but to get that price I had to pay for 2 years of hosting in advance. And in the end, I got burned by my choice because the shared hosting couldn’t handle the traffic I needed it to.

If you host multiple sites, the Basic service plan can be as cheap as shared hosting. Basic tier starts at around $56/mo. So if you host 10 sites, which can all be hosted on the same Basic plan in Azure, you’d be paying $5.60 a month.

Is Azure the cheapest option out there? No.

But given the ease with which you can iterate, deploy, scale, etc., I think there’s a lot about Azure that’s worth looking at, and the costs don’t have to be high.

Many of us already have MSDN subscriptions. If you aren’t taking advantage of your Azure benefits ($50/month free) then you should also look into that.

1 Like

I think the point here is that I can host as many sites as I want in Arvixe for the same ~$7 or so per month (paid monthly). Adding additional sites does not cost any additional money. I also get databases and email for the same money.

Azure has a lot going for it, yes, but for the extremely budget-conscious, it’s not comparable to Arvixe in many/most cases.

[quote=“devhammer”]Respectfully disagree that Azure is too costly, but obviously what is “too costly” will vary from person to person. Some perspective:

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/app-service/ (see D1 - Shared - around $10/mo.)

If you can get shared hosting for $2.50 a month, more power to you. As I noted previously, I used Arvixe, and was paying around $4/mo, but to get that price I had to pay for 2 years of hosting in advance. And in the end, I got burned by my choice because the shared hosting couldn’t handle the traffic I needed it to.

If you host multiple sites, the Basic service plan can be as cheap as shared hosting. Basic tier starts at around $56/mo. So if you host 10 sites, which can all be hosted on the same Basic plan in Azure, you’d be paying $5.60 a month.

Is Azure the cheapest option out there? No.

But given the ease with which you can iterate, deploy, scale, etc., I think there’s a lot about Azure that’s worth looking at, and the costs don’t have to be high.[/quote]

Hi devhammer,

Thank you for your response. If you use the cheapest plan on Azure, it is also working incredible slowly. I have tried them, really… It seems the performance same like shared hosting if you pay the lowest rate. If we use high usage, the cost will be very expensive. I’m too recommend Azure. I must admit that the deployment is easy.

Arvixe is going downhill… please consider all options before using their services

-random outages
-poor support
-replies after a week or so
-the mess up the SSL cert every other day with some other domain
-email IMAP quits for no reason

• … and lots more
1 Like

@ Rajesh - I’m still quite content with my decision to use Azure Web Apps (formerly sites). I don’t miss Arvixe a bit. They served a purpose in that they were really cheap, and relatively easy to use. But I find working with the Azure infrastructure a good deal easier and more flexible.

@ devhammer

If I may ask what is the annual cost for hosting a basic site on Azure Web Apps ?

Somewhere between free and 8 euro/month I believe. See : https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/app-service/