As a woodworker I enjoyed this link. I could use this at times. Maybe a good use for my Fez.Spider

See the very long link.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/57081/mit-students-and-professor-invent-handheld-cnc-router-system?&lookup=auto&V18=&V19=&V20=&V21=&V22=&V23=&V24=&V25=&V26=&V53=&V54=&Taun_Per_Flag=true&utm_source=email&utm_medium=eletter&utm_content=20120811-common-mistakes&utm_campaign=fine-woodworking-eletter

4 Likes

That is pretty cool. Thanks!

Very clever :slight_smile:

I glanced over that article last week and didn’t bother watching the video because I just assumed it was a camera telling him where to move the bit… Thank you for bringing this to my attention again. That is truly a brilliant idea!

ianlee74

I use routers all the time.
Viewing the bit can be almost impossible at times. Now how will I mount a Fez.Spider onto my best router?

Just viewing could be a GREAT help.

[quote=“willgeorge”]Viewing the bit can be almost impossible at times. Now how will I mount a Fez.Spider onto my best router?

Just viewing could be a GREAT help.
[/quote]

Another interesting idea. My assumption when I first glanced at that article was they had mounted a camera to the view window. It doesn’t appear they are using a camera, though. They are tracking location using the markers on the board. Here’s more info.

http://www.alecrivers.com/positioncorrectingtools/files/Position-Correcting%20Tools%20for%202D%20Digital%20Fabrication.pdf

But, for the problem you are trying to solve… I would first attempt to attach the camera module to the view window of your router and the T35 & spider mounted on the outside much like they did. You may also need to add additional lighting to the view area if your router doesn’t have good lighting.

I also do a fair amount of routing. First and foremost, I can tell you that if you aren’t using good dust collection on your router then definitely add that first. If your dust collection is adequate and the view area is lighted then you should not have visibility issues :slight_smile:

I can probably give you a hand with that :wink: If you can send me the dimensions for the body of the router, I can fab up a mount for the router, the camera and the boards/battery pack. I can start modeling it with the mount that holds my Hitachi M12VC to my Zenbot CNC. Would be interesting to have a camera on mine as well, except I’ve got a dust shoe, so not sure how well it would work looking directly at the bit in my case.