Argon & Type U modules pin status on boot

Does anyone happen to know if any or all modules pull U socket pin 3 low on boot?
I’m using an Argon R1 and if I connect any U modules to socket 2 it puts the board into boot loader mode (holds pin 3 low).
If anyone else has an argon that they could try that would be great.

Ok… So maybe the question I should have asked is - do any of the GHI type U modules pull pin 3 low when connected to a gadgeteer board? :wink:

No

Haha short but sweet Gus :slight_smile:
Hopefully Duke Nukem will be able to try this with his Argon too. It will at least confirm one way or the other for me.

OK whipped up a test device using my Argon R1, RFID and a HD44780 display. The RFID is a ‘U’ module, so the results:

RFID plugged into Socket 2, no problems, deploys, boots and runs correctly.

RFID plugged into Socket 14, no deploy

RFID plugged into Socket 9, deploys, but errors on Intialize (rfid = new GTM.GHIElectronics.RFID(9); An unhandled exception of type ‘System.ArgumentException’ occurred in Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.dll) and while running

A first chance exception of type ‘System.ArgumentException’ occurred in Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.dll
An unhandled exception of type ‘System.ArgumentException’ occurred in Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.dll

WARN: Total initialization time exceeds 10 seconds.
: ProgramStarted is blocking execution, which means events and timers will not run properly.
: Make sure not to use blocking code such as while(true) - use a GT.Timer instead.

and its pretty much downhill from there. So what happens on your Argon R1 if you use Socket 2 as mine works great? Which firmware are you using in your board, I’m using the 4.2.0.2 version. Have you mentioned it to James yet as I’m sure he would like to hear about this and fix it.

Another case in point that bootloader pins should NOT be on sockets…

2 Likes

I’m using 4.2.0.2 firmware

On my board if I use A USB serial 1.3 module it totally prevents the board from booting and puts it into boot loader mode. Xbee module is fine and an extender with the adafruit ultimate gps breakout wired in results in the board booting but I don’t get the windows bingely beep to say that the USB device is attached.

If I use any of the other sockets I get the same Microsoft.spot.hardware exceptions.

I’ve been emailing James a lot to give him as much info as i can and he is looking into it for me. I will keep you posted.

Apparently none of the GHI U modules pull pin 3 low, and the argon only goes into bootloader mode if pin 3 on socket 2 is pulled low so it will be interesting to see where the issue stems from.

Don’t want to hijack this thread, but other modules DO pull pin 3 low, like the seeed relay module, which is an X module, which socket 2 of the Argon is. You can’t use a relay module with one of the sockets of the Hydra, for the same reason. :frowning:

Thanks for the Info GMod, Thats one to remember for the future if i ever use an X module on Argon or Hydra.