Arduino on 96Mhz ARM board - The competition is heating up!

So, ponder this… Now that Arduino boards are catching up in power, how about a board that one can deploy EITHER Arduino or NETMF to? That would really open up the market for GHI’s boards but continue their focus on NETMF. Is there any reason this wouldn’t work?

It was bound to happen eventually. The 8-bit AVRs just don’t have the horsepower.

The downside, of course, is that with the new boards, you won’t be able to pop out the AVR chip (that only costs a couple bucks in quantity) and drop it in a socket on your production board. Most hobbyists won’t even consider attempting to solder these packages. That leaves them purchasing a whole new board for each project they want to complete.

It’s a problem I’m hoping to solve with the USBizi module.

It took pretty long, but we all saw it coming.
Arduino is just not as powerful as most people would want it to be (luckily we have fez :wink: )

Godefroi is right. The big pro of arduino was the chip which you could pull out of the board and embed into a project. That’s not possible anymore, pretty dumb actually if you ask.

I am very curious about the new fez module. I love the idea!

Now the question is: Will it support run-time debugging without JTAG?

It’ll be interesting to see if giving Arduino the ability to create bigger apps ends up having the result of people looking for better ways to handle & debug larger programs via NETMF. Or perhaps Arduino development will mature. I’m quite surprised the Arduino platform hasn’t adopted Eclipse yet as the native dev environment.

So, no interest in my idea of a board that would support both platforms? I think this would be very popular especially in the hobbyist crowds. Could also be a good way to open Arduino developer eyes to NETMF if they could try it w/o really any additional investment.

For the AVR UC3 you can use the $49 AVR Dragon as JTAG emulator/debugger.

I’m designing a board with the UC3 for the moment because my cobra board can’t run the native code fast enough. Of course the UC3 will be commanded by a Cobra or Panda…

That is cool Wouter.

Something like a CPU + GPU [ or NPU - native processor unit] :slight_smile:

It’s more something like a dedicated RLP processor :slight_smile:

What will the interface between the 2 chips ?

Serial or Parallel ?

Serial, the UC3 will do the work (audio processing) on its own. While the FEZ will only send some commands to adjust some parameters, and will handle usb, midi, rotary encoder and display.

What I find really interesting is the comments on that post!

As for arduino on panda ii, I welcome the idea. Arduino is simply a simple java IDE that uses gcc under it so you can change it for anything gcc supports, including fez panda!

Yes, the comments are interesting considering the audience.

I have no idea how to do what you’re talking about and really have no interest. But, I would think GHI would. If it’s really that simple then why not show up on the Arduino scene with a proven 32-bit board that gives users the option to go either way. You could possibly more than quadrupal your customer base.

All I can say publicly is a smile :slight_smile:

:smiley: