[AND THE WINNER IS] Name It, Win It, Use It, Love It

edisco,
cognosco,
comperio

all are Latin variations on “learn”

I wouldn’t take “Retina”, because im pretty sure you will get sued by apple for using that :wink:

@ Skewworks -

ACUS

Anybody
Can
Use
Skewworks

Once I was asked by my PC (when adding a 2nd HDD): ‘Please enter the name of the new Harddrive’ (or similar).
By this one name was in my head: Herbert.
Several years since then my data HDD had the name Herbert.

Rule #2 is it must be available for trademark :wink:

I’ll be running searches on all the names I like and checking their availability before selecting a winner. There’s already been a couple I liked that had to be thrown out because they weren’t available.

Board was finalized last night. I’ll be getting the final BOM today and sending the boards off to be fabbed in the next couple of days.

1 Like

Skewworks board, right on your desktop => DESKEW !

[Update]
All of the board and part orders have been placed! We should have boards in 2 weeks or less I would think.

Final feature list: Cerb40, 8 Buttons, AXY socket, Mating Sockets (basically U sockets), OLED, 1 user LED, uSD, RTC & battery backup, 4 directional tilt sensor, Piezo element, 4x AA battery powered, USB powered, Silk screened, solder masked, and E-tested

Software Notes
Whatever name here wins will have ArMF present before it. Hm, wonder what that could be about? :wink:
Board will be powered by a RLP version of PicoMax (needs to be renamed for copyright reasons)
Anti-alias and alpha blending will be added
A modified version of Spiral will be provide GUI support
Glide sketches will be supported!
SBASIC will be supported
Sketches from the popular ****** will be supported via conversion tool or inline interpreting!

Contest will conclude once the boards are on hand with all demo applications tested and ready to show. Then it’s off to KickStarter to bring the per-board cost down.

Keep those names coming guys!

1 Like

Aristocles

Because he was a Greek scholar and you have a tendency to use Greek names already.

Dave

Skewworks isn’t GHI :wink:
Still a very good suggestion though!

Oops, I meant to say that people are used to seeing the Greek names, so this goes with that theme.

Well, it’s an educational board so how about SkewED ?

Cool project!

[ul]
SkewMicro
ELF = Embedded Learning Foundation (or Fun, Fundamentals, etc)[/ul]

@ Skewworks - BTW if you want I can help with the 3D model.

That’d be fantastic! I just got emails today from the fab house; board is drilled and etched. Waiting on silk screen and solder mask now. :smiley:

What do you need to generate the 3D?

Eagle files.

@ Architect - It wasn’t designed using Eagle. :frowning:

For fun I decided to see what it would take to build this with Arduino to compare prices etc. Powered by arduino this board would be $102 even (+ shipping) and be roughly 4+ inches thick.

Not to mention slower with an LCD instead of OLED (which means smaller viewing angle).

Looks a little bit high. How did you price it?

LCD-09363 29.95
Leonardo 24.95
MicroSD 14.95
Joystick Shield 12.95
Battery Holder 1.95
RTC 14.95
Buzzer 1.95
LED 0.35

Everything sourced from Sparkfun

Oh ok. I see. I thought you were pricing it if building it from scratch.

Ah, no. That would be different. I’m comparing this to a normal Arduino user not someone that has the ability to throw together a board on their own. You’ll always be cheaper that way.