AllJoyn on Windows and NETMF

They have a funny idea of “thin client” :wink:

I can imagine hundreds or thousands of wireless lights in an apartment complex, all on different access points, together with all the personal devices and everything else that’s supposed to join the “internet of things”. Given today’s already-crowded 2.4 GHz band, I can’t imagine it works all that great.

Plus, the first time someone starts a microwave, everyone’s lights stop working :slight_smile:

Maybe I’m a pessimist, but I know I would -never- use wireless when wired is available. Reliability, bandwidth, latency, cost (of hardware), security, it just makes sense to go wired. I already have problems enough with my home’s wireless infrastructure, and in my house, there are 2x CAT-6 runs to nearly every room (done 25 years after the fact; having an unfinished basement is convenient).

These are all logistical issues that will have to be solved, and will be solved. They also tend to be much less expensive (for builders) to solve vs. running miles of cable.

I prefer wired, but things just aren’t going that way in the consumer world.

Pete

I’m designing a board right now that will use POE. It was either that or decorate my shop with wall warts. Also, I need reliable networking for this for safety reasons. So, wired just makes a lot more sense.

Its hard for me to imagine a future where we still wire the interior of our homes with AC power. Nearly every device plugged into the wall has an AC/DC transformer in it. Aside from the power loss, nearly every device we buy could be cheaper if it didn’t have to ship with power supplies/transformers. I say we replace our standard 110V AC with a nice 24V/12V/5V POE-ish type system with higher voltage AC outlets for the heavy appliances.

1 Like

Not to keep singing the same note, but I suspect we’ll see wireless power transmission become more popular before we see DC outlets at the wall. :slight_smile:

I think the only way you see a complete overhaul of electrical infrastructure in the home is if we move off-planet or have someone force it on us. :slight_smile:

Pete

I am super skeptical of wireless power transmission, unless it’s in the form of a laser.

If it isn’t pinpoint and directed, it would be an [em]enormous [/em]waste of energy.

And you dont want microwave beams - unless you want each light bulb to have its own kilometer-long antenna somehow

Yes, and a funny idea of security. Why would you today still use those elliptic curves that we have to assume are broken, at least by the NSA?

1 Like

I personally would never want to live in a room packed with a hundred wi-fi devices, transmitted everything everywhere. In this massively polluted world, I think there’s a reason cancer is quickly getting a No1 disease (in developed countries, of course)…

Edit: POE! A great idea. How didn’t I think about it earlier?..

WiFi radiation effected sperm cells :stuck_out_tongue:

I would characterize it more as a [em]horrific[/em] waste of energy. For near-field techniques, the power drops off as the SIXTH power of the distance (i.e. doubling the range reduces the power by a factor of 64). For far-field techniques, well, just stay out of the way of the beam :slight_smile:

We’re way off topic here, and it’s my fault, and I apologize.

Oh, and one more thing: in 2013, the IEEE estimated that in the US alone, AC-DC conversion losses in the home accounted for over 70 terawatt hours of wasted energy annually. They estimated that between 15% and 30% of a home’s energy consumption was DC, and average efficiencies of AC-DC conversion was no better than 80%. It gets worse if you’ve got residential solar (DC-AC conversion with poor efficiency), or a plug-in electric car (high-current AC-DC conversion).

I’d be surprised if someone didn’t solve the DC-in-the-home problem fairly soon, as it’s only going to get worse. PoE makes sense for some things, but you only get 36 watts per cable. The advantage is that you get a free network connection along with the power :slight_smile:

1 Like

That train has long since left the building.

My own house has two WiFi routers, two mobile phones, six laptops, bunch of bluetooth stuff including game controllers for the console, and more. Not to mention the usual radio and OTA TV signals that are still in most places. My electric service has a wireless meter.

The majority of laptops sold no longer include a physical ethernet connection. Laptops outsell desktop PCs by a huge margin to the point where desktop PCs are now a niche market.

If you walk into a corporate building, there are wireless security cameras, hundreds (or thousands) of mobile phones and laptops, BT headsets, and much more.

But the idea that they cause cancer doesn’t actually have any credible evidence* behind it at this point.

But there could be other solutions. For example, localized wiring where the fixtures are wired to each other, but then connect to a single wireless access point for communication to the outside world. That still requires some retrofit wiring, so it’s not really a consumer thing, but it would make more sense in business than running millions of pounds of cabling through the walls. Wireless is popular with consumers because they don’t need to open up the walls.

Pete

*“evidence” to date has been from scare sites the likes of which also rail against vaccines and GMO. Studies following proper methods have shown no danger. I won’t comment further on this, but here’s the result of an 11 year study.

@ Pete Brown - It may have left your building, but certainly not mine. I know there aren’t enough trustworthy studies in this field, and that’s the exact reason I do not actively suggest going wired. But as I former scientist who worked mainly in microwave region, I reserve my right to not use radiating microwaves whenever I can.

Because, you know, there were plenty of materials and technologies that were considered completely safe, until, at some point, somebody proved it differently. Like, for example, lead, mercury, x-rays, DDT, asbestos, chlorofluorocarbons and such…

2 Likes