Advice on choosing a display for the ChipworkX SoM

Currently I am working on a project using the ChipworkX SoM. All development is done using the dev board that features a 4.3" 480*272 touch display.

I’m not quite there yet, but I am looking at two parallel developments paths (or maybe combine both):

• upgrade to the G400-D (but as I understand, the touch interface won’t work without modifications)
  • upgrade to a larger touch screen (800*600 at least)

I’m not a hardware guru so I will most like miss some details (I already have and spent a lot of time and sometimes money to fix it)

My primary concern is how to choose a display (what to look for, what to avoid, potential interface issues to the ChipworkX or the G400, etc. )

Any advice on how to tackle this is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance !

Hi Stefanu

Simon on this forum, along with myself have managed to get the 5" 800 x 480 Capactitive Touch displays from Newhaven to work with the G400 and G120. Simon did some excellent work on the touch driver and I manage to get this working with Clix2 and also Glide.

These are beautiful displays with nice high brightness although not up to the resolution you are looking for.

It’s not a drop in for Gadgeteer as such although I do now have a design for that but it hasn’t been made into a real board yet and tested but I know the LCD interface works as I used the same basic layout with a G120. I have another connected to my G400 board which also works.

If there was enough interest for it, I would get it made up and tested and then offer them through Creations.

Thanks for the info.

I don’t really have a minimum resolution (800*600 seemed about right, as I’m used to old-style CRT displays :-[). Right now I’m just evaluating my options, so I’ll take a look at these.

To start with, I was looking at the displays from this chinese seller : http://www.buydisplay.com/

This one looks promising to me : http://www.newhavendisplay.com/nhd70800480efatxlt-p-6285.html. It looks like it has resistive touch panel.

I’ll have to take a look at the ChipworkX devboard schematics to see if it can replace the existing display with minimum (maybe even none) modifications.

Thanks again.