A wearable IoT development system

Hexiwear is a wearable development kit for the Internet of Things era. A small and sleek, low-power device packed with sensors to quantify yourself and the world around you. Wirelessly enabled, it can connect both to devices nearby - or to cloud servers far away. Its greatest feature? The new and original firmware you will develop.

2 Likes

Is GHI involved in any way?

As far as I can see, no Windows Phone Support :frowning: Why ??

Is that any different than from anywhere else? :wink:

Love my Lumia 920 but seriously considering finally tossing it in a ditch…

1 Like

We are not, we just thought it was pretty cool!

As far as I can see, very little these days has Windows Phone support. Android and iOS seem to be the only options around. I did play around for a little while with a Windows phone but decided that my Android phone offered way more in the way of being able to programme and test on ANY device without having to jump through hoops as you seem to have to do with Windows and iOS. I actually quite live Java on Android and glad I don’t have to deal with that Objective C thingy they have on iOS. C# is nice on Windows Phone but the fact that my smart watch and other devices are not means it will remain on the “no thanks” list. :frowning:

There’s nothing about this that prevents it from being Windows Phone compatible. It just needs the app. I know this because I implemented the same sort of notification app for Justin’s Radius device. I am going to back these folks, and if anyone wants the notification app for Windows phone, just let me know.

Initially, you will have to compile it and install it yourself because it’s in a special class of apps that require additional approval processes before they can appear in the Windows Store. The same app will work to attach this device to your Surface, WinPhone, Laptop, whatever is running Win10.

And @ Dave McLaughlin - I use C# for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android via Xamarin. It has allowed me to use a single core codebase and minimal UI custimizations in order to develop the same app across all those different OS’s and form factors. It is pricey as heck (soon to change I think, since they are being acquired by MS), but it is a powerful development and revenue lubricant.

EDIT: BTW, I think Justin’s netmf Radius platform would have been a lot more interesting and ended up a lot less ugly, but that’s water under a short-attention-span bridge (his and mine)

2 Likes

I do not understand why the producer does not even anounce to be willing to support Windows Phone in future.
If the OS has the technical capabilities it should not be too hard for the producer to make a Windows Phone App.
However, that’s their decision and probably is discussed by others before.

@ RoSchmi - Probably because WP’s 1.7% (and shrinking) market share doesn’t justify much development investment. On top of that, Satya has already said that even that market share isn’t sustainable. Like it or not, the writing is on the wall.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2440409/nadella-windows-phone-market-share-is-unsustainable

1 Like

While I’m perhaps not the easiest guy on Microsoft but love my Windows Phone, and would personally and happily fire Microsoft’s entire marketing group (they couldn’t give water to a man in the desert), Microsoft can’t ignore the mobile market as its just to big and how big and important is it, check out what Steve has to say about it.

Now phones are a different game as really how long do most people keep a phone for, so there is a natural turn over rate that a new competitor could use to their advantage to turn themselves into a major player rather quickly.

Now my current concern about Microsoft is all these rumors etc about Windows Surface phone etc and before that Windows Phone 10 is that consumers will not buy a phone when they think a whole new version of phone is just around the corner, so please Microsoft pick a phone/name/whatever and stick with it. As long as you keep releasing rumors of new versions you kill sales and developer interests of the now ‘old’ existing phone.

1 Like

Have to agree with Duke on this in regards to the next best thing to come long. I started out on my smart phone path with a Microsoft based phone as my next step up from my Ipaq PDA. Then Android came along and initially I was skeptical of the change but I eventually took the plunge and have been on Android ever since. The great thing is the continued compatibility that Android offers. From what I’ve seen of Windows Phone it’s not compatible across major releases. You can’t as far as I can tell develop for Windows Phone 8 and run this on Windows Phone 7.

iOS does with regards to compatibility but I won’t touch Apple devices with a barge pole. I won’t pay a premium for something I can easily get on Android and I don’t like being restricted in my use of the device as you do with Apple and it’s eco system.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/9236084/

Its real and it’s cheap.

I rather an ESP8622 in watch form. With buttons so that I can control certain basic appliance…

Hey! Idea.