$100,000 / Year after learning to write software in 9 weeks?

Read more with video here: Home | Calgary Herald

What do you think?

The people collecting the $11,000 tuition are certainly doing well.
If you have technical talent to begin with, it’s a way to get motivated. Courses for learning languages work in a similar fashion - spend all day submerged in the material.
I would be a little wary of the promise of big dollars, though. Maybe in San Francisco.
I just read that some large, international software companies in India are scaling back because of the economic situation in the world. So, if there’s not enough work for “cheap” hacks, where are these new jobs coming from?
Still, Boot Camps tend to be a good place to check your personal limits, meet new people and see what the “competition” is capable of doing.

“if it sounds too good to be true …”

1 Like

Nashville has a similar thing except our tuition is $1000. From what I understand, it’s been a huge success. I know a guy that hired one of the students.

@ ianlee74 - the Nashville program is six months which is a reasonable timeframe to absorb and become reasonably proficient. two to three months is pushing it.

@ Duke Nukem - Given housing prices in San Francisco and the bay area, that $100K may not go all that far.

That being said, a 9-week intensive course could be pretty helpful in building good habits from the outset. I didn’t pay for a course like that, but when I got started in programming back in the late 90s, I was thrown onto a project that gave me great opportunities to learn about n-tier design, enterprise web apps, and component development, all of which positioned me very well for the remainder of my career.

But I agree that aptitude and technical talent are a requirement for something like this to succeed. Programming is a field that is accessible for many, but to hit the ground running in 9 weeks is a whole different ballgame.

There are two kinds of programmers: those that will be proficient regardless of how much they spend on tuition, and those that no amount of money will ever “fix”.

Programming requires a specific set of skills, none of which are the ability to memorize method names and parameter types. It requires the ability to problem solve, and think logically. It is my belief that while a school can teach you the syntax of a certain programming language, and might even teach you good habits when it comes to programming, the things that make you an excellent programmer are not things that are taught in school.

Call me an elitist if you like, but that’s what I believe.

1 Like

Apparently only for non-Microsoft folks “Thank you for visiting Nashville Software School. This site is best viewed in Safari, Firefox or Google Chrome.” and doesn’t support IE10

@ Duke Nukem - I didn’t create the site. ;). However, I would call myself a Microsoft guy but I still use Chrome as my primary browser. Unfortunately, there still isn’t one browser to rule them all and having multiple browsers installed is still a must.

[quote=“ianlee74”]Unfortunately, there still isn’t one browser to rule them all and having multiple browsers installed is still a must.[/quote]Reason #38 why users think the web sucks.

And then for bonus fun running the site through W3C Markup Validation Service returns 56 errors and 22 warnings, hardly uncommon for any site but Reason #9 why users think the web sucks.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fnashvillesoftwareschool.com%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

1 Like

If they are training web developers and their own website doesn’t support IE10 then they are worthless. A good web developer would know how to make a site that works on the lowest common denominator or would create browser specific css.

The boot camp thing really works though; we used to bring non programmers up to speed with c# and html within 2 months as a norm. All we needed was willingness. Also, we filtered out persons who we thought wouldn’t cut it at the resume and interview level. They may have something similar there. After all if you’re willing to quit your job and spend 11K then you must be really motivated.